Timber Framers Guild

"Hew In"

Posted By: northern hewer

"Hew In" - 11/22/07 01:25 AM

Just something that I have pondered about over the last few years

How many out there would like to gather together as a learning\teaching\fun\ "HEW IN" If one was organized and put together over the next year or so?

It would be a good time to show off your skills or learn from the experts.

I am just testing the water, no promises but it could happen if the interest is out there.

NH

Posted By: Mark Davidson

Re: "Hew In" - 11/22/07 12:01 PM

Count me in. I could bring some axes and some shin pads.
Posted By: Bruce Chrustie

Re: "Hew In" - 11/22/07 03:31 PM

Me too! And my suture kit smile
Posted By: mike deibert

Re: "Hew In" - 11/22/07 07:05 PM

I would love to be a part of something like that.

Mike

Re: "Hew In" - 11/23/07 02:19 AM

Hi everyone:

Well thanks for the quick response, I am sure that showing your skills, or just being a part would be welcome. I will keep your names on file until a later date, and I hope that more might join in, should the event move forward.

As far as I know there never has been a display of Traditional Hewing at least in this area, so it could very well be a first. If anyone knows of one having taken place just jump into this thread I would be interested in knowing about it.

The "Hew In" could be a part of a larger event so that any advertising would be more or less free.

I know that there is no doubt good hewers out there that practice and work silently in the background, lets hear from you.

I am sort of looking at a good 1 day display, what do you all think out there, don't be shy about putting ideas out even if you feel you can't be part of the event, I wecome your input.

NH
Posted By: Mark Davidson

Re: "Hew In" - 11/23/07 02:55 PM

oh come on NH, how about a sleep-over at UCV???? If I'm going to drive all the way over there, two days would be better. Someone else who may be interested would be John Foreman, here is a web page with some info on him:
http://www.transenco.com/Broadaxe/default.htm

Re: "Hew In" - 11/24/07 02:29 AM

Hi Mark:

I asked for some ideas, and that sounds like a good one, I am not ruling it out but good PR and some arm twisting something might happen. for sure it is one that would need to be addressed by the management staff there.

There is limited facilities for an overnighter for groups, the historic sight is really set up for the day visiting public, and school groups who come and go continuously, and some that stay in special facilities overnight.

In my opinion the site is a treasure trove of historic structures moved to the site during the St. Lawrence Seaway construction in the late 50's, and makes an exceptionally good visit for groups, who like that sort of thing, and who are visiting the area.

Thanks for the input,keep the ideas coming, also thanks for the additional info about John.

NH

Re: "Hew In" - 11/24/07 02:33 AM

Hi again:

I just visited John's site, and the first thing that I noticed was that John was hewing in a lower position like the one that I recommend to many that request that type of information.

NH
Posted By: Housewright

Re: "Hew In" - 11/25/07 08:43 PM

Sounds great to me. Just say when.

Jim
Posted By: Bruce Chrustie

Re: "Hew In" - 11/26/07 05:48 PM

I know McRaven is a proponent for the lower hewing position....and I suspect he has hewn alot of wood! Sobon's books cover the elevated position. Having done both I would never go back to hewing at a lower position.

Keep in mind when we talk of tradition that the logs they had hewn were so large that they were hitting the log at waste height.

http://www.amazon.com/Lumber-Kings-Shant...5612&sr=1-1

As the cover in this book shows.

Re: "Hew In" - 11/27/07 03:25 AM

Hi all:

Great feed back, and if the "Hew In" eventually goes forward it will be great to see the different styles of hewing techniques, and the different axe styles on display and being used all in one event. I fully intend to make sure that everyone one is welcome to do their thing and has a great time.

Thanks for bringing forward some new names maybe there is a few more hanging around lets hope so, as well there might be those that would be interested in pairing up with one of the veterans, to learn the technique first hand, just get on in here and we will see what will come of it.

I would like to see a team ( hewer and scorer) working on a good sized timber I know from experience it is a great display. I think that procuring the timber could be arranged!.

NH

© 2024 Timber Frame Forums