Timber Framers Guild

enclosure for timberframes/hybrid frame structures

Posted By: Denny

enclosure for timberframes/hybrid frame structures - 05/05/07 06:04 AM

I was wondering if any of you have tried using ICF insulated concrete forms for your enclosures. I have completed several structures this way using Buildblock ICF's (I'm a dealer)and it is not only an R-30 plus, 3 hour firewall wall, it has a great deal of design flexability (I am also an architect). I would be interested to hear your experiences.

Denny Brown ARA
Posted By: E.H.Carpentry

Re: enclosure for timberframes/hybrid frame structures - 05/09/07 01:05 AM

Have not used it for that purpose but seems overkill to me. Why build a TF and then enclose with concrete?
I guess it provides a good sound barrier though besides the advantages already mentioned.
What is the interior and exterior finish on your homes where the forms have been used? Plaster?
Posted By: Pegs 1

Re: enclosure for timberframes/hybrid frame structures - 05/09/07 02:27 AM

I did one using the ICFs as the exterior wall to the roof plates.

From there the roof was a conventional timber frame.

The interior posts were conventional as were all of the girts and floor trusses.

The only thing that wasn't truly load bearing were the perimeter posts. They looked like they were but there wasn't any true joinery connecting them to the plate

Heres a link. You can see the white ICF wall in the lower part of the picture. That area in the foreground was all loft. The area from the cameras perspective is all open to above.

http://echo7sphotos.photosite.com/HOMESUNDERCONSTRUCTION/Otterson/

We designed it and raised the frame, the customer was the GC.
Posted By: Obie

Re: enclosure for timberframes/hybrid frame structures - 06/27/07 07:22 PM

[img]\\D71qgc21\test\My Documents\trillium dell\Pictures\Completed Homes\McCullough\WDSC00027[/img]

This duplex was built using ICF walls. The only 2 posts are mid span on each of the 40' trusses. It was a pretty cool project.
Posted By: Pegs 1

Re: enclosure for timberframes/hybrid frame struct - 06/28/07 01:13 AM

Linky no worky... Looks more like a computer file location than a website address...maybe????
© 2024 Timber Frame Forums