Print Thread
Rate Thread
Timber Framers in NSW, Australia? #2044 10/16/05 09:52 AM
S
Steve Reed Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Hi:
I'm new to the forum but desperate to start a timber framing project. I've read one of Jack Sobon's books and just ordered another along with a Tedd Benson one.

I've recently moved from the UK to NSW, Australia and unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a huge amount of timber-framing here.

I am about to buy a couple of acres and really want to build my own modest house, and am pretty sure I can do it using a system of bents etc. I have moderately good woodworking skills, and a lot of tools from my ventures into green woodwork.

If there are any framers in the New England region of NSW, please drop me a line, I'll work for FREE to get some experience.

Regards

Steve
Re: Timber Framers in NSW, Australia? #2045 11/20/05 09:53 AM
A
Andy Davidson Offline
A
Hey Steve,

Re: Timber Framers in NSW, Australia? #2046 11/20/05 09:58 AM
A
Andy Davidson Offline
A
Hey Steve,how did you make out - any interest / replies? I'm a member of the TFG ( ex. New Mexico, USA, now in Brisbane ). You might try a couple of the Australian members registered in the guild. Matt Fenn is registered in NSW, although I don't know him. Also try Appalachian log homes on the internet - a Canadian gal in ( Penrith? ) who has a company that builds log homes locally. She was advertising some timber framing at one stage. She may have some contacts. Let me know how you go. Andy

Re: Timber Framers in NSW, Australia? #2047 11/26/05 11:27 AM
R
Rob Macfarlane Offline
R
Hey Steve,
I am an aussie currently in Canada Timber Framing and I am returning to Australia in May next year to continue Timber Framing .
I grew up in Walcha New England where abouts are you? I cant promise anything but my first job when I return might be a house in Bonalbo north east of Tenterfield we are currently waiting for the drawings so that I can design some timber frame into it. If this ever eventuated I would be happy to show you a few tricks of the trade to help you out.And if it doesnt there will be others.
How are you going finding large timber and what sought of timber are you thinking of using? we have some nice hardwoods down there.
If I can help in any way give me a yell.
Rob

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Jackson, Taffswell, CharlieM, Bradyhas1, cpgoody
5140 Registered Users