I've been reading the posts about the 13" Makita with interest, since I've been using one for about 3 months.

The main problem I have had with it is the perpendicularity of the blade to the base. I had to spend about an hour filing off humps in it(the base)while in the middle of a job it was bought for, because it wouldn't saw square even with the accurate jigs I made for it. If I had more time, I'd treat the base to the kind of flat grinding over abrasive/flat plate that you do with hand-planes.

As said by Tom earlier in this thread, you can "adjust" it by the way you saw, but it would be so much easier if it was made properly in the first place.

Otherwise it's a useful tool I wouldn't be without.

ref the Makita mortiser: I don't have any problems with this tool, after 3 years use. The chains are very easy to sharpen yourself (I do it by eye with a Dremel). However, I have just purchased a Mafell and will be interested in the comparisons.

ref the Makita beam planer: recently planed 10 tons of dry oak with it, without any problem, though the knives must be changed as soon as they start to lose a good edge.

Conclusion: thanks to Makita, but not to the guy who manages production of the baseplates (seen it in other models).

PS based in Channel Isles between UK and France

Last edited by Lignator; 06/12/07 08:30 PM. Reason: addition