Hi Jonathan,

Does the Dolphinite and other bedding compounds have preservative qualities?

Of course, and water displacement, too. I just watched a couple shipwrights slather dolphinite under the fir sponsons on a fine old wood boat. If it's good enough for the ocean...

I don't know if you finish your wood with oil. If so, oil first, then assembly with enough dolphinite to ooze out. If natural, you might consider masking right up to the line with good blue or green masking tape.

My supplier for marine stuff like dolphinite is Fisheries Supply in Seattle 1-800-426-6930. John Hastill is my sales rep. It shouldn't be hard to find a tub in Oregon, or Fisheries will deliver.

As for mixing oil, pine tar, etc. That's more of a heavy oil you could lather on, and yes it prevents moisture and rot, but could really throw your finish for a loop, as it's very contagious.

There's something reassuring about keeping moisture away from the inside out.

One other thought: frame in yellow cedar, as it's infinitely more rot resistant and much funner to work. I could look into a supplier from up this way, since mine just changed hands.

Best,

Zach

Last edited by Zach LaPerriere; 01/07/08 09:13 AM. Reason: somewhere between senility and amnesia