Tim:

How neat that you'll build your next frame this way! It will be interesting to hear your experience. And yes, the CG does seem to be a English tying joint minus the plates. the rafters sit atop the crosstie, etc.

Ken:

Nice to hear from you after the many threads. I was waiting to hear from you again. Forgive me if my tone has changed. I'm only tying to create discussion so we all can learn. That's why I hunted up this forum in the first place. Perhaps it's my own insecurities, but I've felt the need to assert myself as a carpenter based on some recent comments. I only recently went to college and became a writer. I've been schooled as a carpenter and furniture maker for 20 years prior. I get the feeling some folks here think I only have book knowledge. Though I have never raised a frame, I have built/rehabbed many projects. I'm no stranger to tools, both hand and power. Right now I'm building a houseboat...

I do feel the CG system is worthy of study and praise. One of these barns is 200 years old, which is pretty good for this country. We'll never have the history of England's frames, and I'm not suggesting tossing out the plate tradition, I just see some advantages to the CG style.

Don

Don Perkins
Member, TFG

to know the trees...