Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Cabin Plans?? [Re: VTCabin] #15729 06/03/08 03:19 PM
D
DKR Offline
D
VT,

Some of us on this Board have walked in your shoes. All dressed up (because we attended a workshop), but no were to go when we’re done. What I learned a couple of years ago, is that there’s a whole lot more to it than what you learn in a workshop.

Folks like us take a workshop and it all seems doable. Then we go home and reality sets in. Design, plans, joinery details, timbers, tools, engineering and code approvals, storing timbers, raising your frame, working alone, enclosing your frame, etc., etc. At the workshop, all that is needed is provided and it looks almost easy because the organizers have done all of this behind the scenes for us. They provide they tools, the design, the leadership, etc.

I’d urge you to go the workshop and think about all of these things. Then when you get home think about next steps. Think about design, joinery, and plans. Learn to use Sketchup and Bremmer’s dandy rubies, which have made timber frame design software available to folks like you and me. Practice by drawing some of the frames you find in your timber frame books, or the Guild’s plan book. By doing the design, you’ll learn a lot about joinery and joinery decisions that you won’t learn in the workshop.

Then I’d urge you to design something simple you can use now. It will be far more satisfying to cut and raise something small, than to cut something big and store it away.

Dale

Re: Cabin Plans?? [Re: DKR] #15731 06/03/08 04:10 PM
V
VTCabin Offline OP
OP Offline
V
Dale -

Great idea, mail box post, saw horses, hot tub gazebo... (my cousin wants to get rid of his!!). Any other ideas?

Bob

Re: Cabin Plans?? [Re: VTCabin] #15732 06/03/08 04:58 PM
D
DKR Offline
D
Everyone has to make the obligatory saw horses. It took me forever to make mine. I though that they were small, so I should be able to complete them quickly. Ha. Joinery is joinery, even if it is on two ends of a 24" leg. Look at the Guild's plan book. Good ideas there, although some of the plans are too complicated, in my opinion, for a first project. I'd go for a gazebo. Then you can sit in your hot tub, admire your work, and dream about your next "bigger" project.

Re: Cabin Plans?? [Re: VTCabin] #15736 06/03/08 11:02 PM
J
Jim Rogers Offline
J
Originally Posted By: VTCabin
Jim -

Thanks for the detailed answer. The 4 x 4's I asked about were in your drawing of how to stack the timbers. I wanted to know what you use as "stickers" to keep the timbers separated.

Bob

Bob:
You can use stickers a lite as 2x2 or even 2x4 if you want. Sometimes I even use 1x2's if the timbers are small....

You can cut joints in green wood, no need to let things dry before cutting.....(of course this is just my opinion, but we do it all the time)......

Jim

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Re: Cabin Plans?? [Re: DKR] #15743 06/04/08 04:27 AM
V
VTCabin Offline OP
OP Offline
V
Thanks for the advice DKR. Anyone have plans for a gazebo, or do I have to dig in to Scetchup now?

Re: Cabin Plans?? [Re: VTCabin] #15749 06/04/08 02:58 PM
D
DKR Offline
D
Seems to me that there was a fancy (compound angles galore) gazebo in the Guild's plan book. I'm not sure about it, and I'm not sure where I put my copy. But if I'm recalling correctly, it's too complicated for a first solo project, in my opinion. If your first project has a bunch of compound angles, it may be your last.

Re: Cabin Plans?? [Re: VTCabin] #15782 06/06/08 03:16 PM
Q
Quigley Offline
Q
Hey Bob...I'm sort of in the same boat.

I took a course last year from Mark at Whippletree (great course btw) and I got tired of practicing on scraps so I ordered plans for a 12/16 and about 1700 bf of eastern white pine.

I'm letting it season for a while...in the meantime I'm adding to my tool collection. I plan to start cutting ion about 2 weeks (wood was milled 6 weeks ago)

For kicks...I registered a domian name, and I plan on documenting the adventure!

I have a few guys a work who have week-end cabins that have offered to buy the frame and use it as a bunky (if I decide not to keep it)

My long term plans are

1 - build the 12/16 (finish it by early fall)
2 - build a larger frame to use as a workshop (finish it by next summer)
3 - build a small house or cottage (timeframe tbd)

Having detailed concrete plans well in advance are great...but you sure can spend alot of time planning...and not much time on the timber...I decided if I don't step up and do it now...I may just lose interest.

I'll post the website URL once I get further along

Cheers, and good luck
Q

Re: Cabin Plans?? [Re: Quigley] #15791 06/06/08 08:52 PM
V
VTCabin Offline OP
OP Offline
V
What will you sell the frame for? I think I would like to try to sell one to cover the cost of the wood and maybe pay for some of the tools.

Where are you from, I'm guessing somewhere in in Canada?

Do you have plans for the workshop? I wish more were available for sale.
Check out the link below, There are shop plans on this page...

http://www.grandoakstimberframing.com/timber_frame_store.html

I would love to follow the progress you make, please email me the URL when it is up and running!!

Where did you buy the plans from? I'm sure you have seen the plans in Jack Sobon's book... Are they detailed enough for beginners like us?

Good luck to you

Bob

Re: Cabin Plans?? [Re: VTCabin] #15793 06/06/08 09:57 PM
Q
Quigley Offline
Q
I got the plans from Grand Oaks...you can usually get a pretty good deal on Ebay for the 12 by 16 plans....

I plan on designing my own later on...but for right now detailed pland are a big plus for me.

I'm in Ottawa (Ontario - Canada)

Regards
Q

Last edited by Quigley; 06/06/08 09:57 PM.
Re: Cabin Plans?? [Re: Quigley] #15799 06/07/08 01:17 PM
J
Jim Rogers Offline
J
Bob:
We've cut the frame from Jack's book here at my sawmill yard.
And I have created some plans that go into more detail than just the ones in book.
If you'd like to discuss these, we can talk.
Or if you need more detailed plans I can create them for you.
Jim Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc, Paul Freeman 

Newest Members
ScottEllis, ChrisGonzalez, Jackson, Taffswell, CharlieM
5142 Registered Users