I had planned to build a timber frame next spring with logs that would be cut in December 2002. However, a neighbor has decided to cut a stand of white pine in late May this year to make room for farm expansion. I can buy these logs reasonably. I wonder if I should get these logs because I can't start working on cutting joinery till fall. I want to prevent insect damage and sap stain to the extent possible. I have a Woodmizer sawmill. If I slab off all the bark and stack the timbers under metal cover sheets with two inch stickers in a shaded area, will I be able to avoid the sap stain? Will the there be any problem cutting joinery in pine that has dried for 3 months? Is there any treatment, chemical that I can app;ly to prevent the sap stain? As timber framing is a new adventure for me, I invite your comments and advice .
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your piling and stickering should prevent mold if there is enough air movement. Sapwood is what the fungi that causes blue mold thrives on because of the carbohydrates stored in the cells. Growth stops below 40*F and above 105*F. Oxygen deficiency stops it and moisture content below 20 % or above the saturation point also stop it. The best way to control it is chemically inhibiting the fungi. Borate salts (Borax) kills the fungi. A borax and water solution sprayed on will prevent the staining. You can also buy commercial sprays (yardguard, timbor etc.) Borax solution will also keep the bugs out. As for the cutting, it won't be that much more difficult because the muisture will still be pretty high. I would also endseal the timbers to slow the checking. Hope this helps.
Mark Surnoskie

Mark Surnoskie
TIMBERWOLFTREE
Pembroke, ON
K8A 7P4
613-732-0233