OK, so first of all this is not a topic about how to hew timbers, of which there are several already. This, rather, is a topic about the trees that are to be hewn.

Anyone who has ever hewn very much at all knows that some species can be hewn quite easily, whereas others require a good deal more work, and others still simply are not worth it, and should be sent to the sawyer in stead.

So in your experience, and historically, which are the best tree species to hew by hand? Which are the tough ones that you'd rather not if you don't have to, and which do you think should be avoided at all costs. I am asking this because there are several species available to me that I have never worked before, but before I cut down any trees I want to know is it worth it? (I am working on a specific project for myself that requires only hand hewn timbers be used, so sending them to the sawmill is unacceptable)

Where I live the following tree species are available, which of these are good? (Note: I know some of them are from expereince, and common sense tells me that others aren't, but I'll list them all for the benefit of others)

Oaks, in many different forms. White oak is more common than the others. Ash, once again in many different varieties -but in danger of the approaching ash borer, basswood, beech, bluebeech (american hornbeam) Buckeye, Kentucky Coffeetree, Cottonwood, Elms of a few different varieties, Hackberry, Shagbark, Shellbark, Mockernut, and pignut hickory -all 4 common, Sycamore, Black walnut, black cherry, honeylocust, ironwood (hophornbeam) hard and soft maple -very prevalent, Some introduced white pine stands here and there, Redceder, sassafras, tulip poplar. -That's quite the list I know, but it will hopefully help you to think about the properties of certain trees

Was de eine ilüchtet isch für angeri villech nid so klar.
http://riegelbau.wordpress.com/