I used to carry that same opinion, Gabel. On a whim I picked up a Silky Big Boy with the biggest teeth, it can be fitted with 3 different sized tooth styles. It will absolutely handle large timber. Clean, fast, accurate, no dishing and almost effortless. I am not sure why it took me so long to make the switch. I have seen them used and in green timber they tended to fill the teeth with sawdust and not work well. I have not seen this with the big boy. Other than that I still like my docking saw. Perhaps they were dull or out of set, I don't look forward to attempting to sharpen this type of saw, the one fault I can find. I think a replacement blade is around $20.

A recent knotty section on a shoulder of a tenon across a 12" timber cut super nice and flat with no problems, I even have a video of it but have not taken the time to load it. 3 knots if I recall.

What I don't like about the Stanley sharp tooth is the length, they are too short, and the longer ones don't handle the push, as the tooth style is designed to be pulled. That being said the pull saws are short but I don't see an issue. I often find the short saw buckling it you pull it too far out of the saw kerf, just as you start to push it for the next swipe. If Stanley made a heaver body to handle the push of the aggressive tooth style that may work, but then you are taking more wood out in the kerf, meaning more work. While using handtools efficiency is major contributing factor. Great gains are made in a smaller kerf.

So what is it you don't like the pull saws used for in timber framing? Tradition?