No debate intended, just thought a bit of history would be interesting, as the use of the term 'dividers' came about only after the purpose of the tool had changed. To me it seems odd to call the tool 'dividers' if you aren't using them to divide anything. The name 'compass' implies the marking of circles or the swinging of arcs, or earlier simply the use in measurement.

The images do actually show a pencil, just not in the way you might expect it. The architect's compass was pointed with fine silver, which is used as a rubbing drawing point much like lead or graphite. On a properly prepared surface, silver point is erasable.

Today the tool is still most often used for dividing distances into equal parts, rather than as a tool of measurement. As such it is rightly called dividers. But when used solely for geometric drawing and measurement, I submit that the term compass is a superior term. But I admit that may be more because I am somewhat of a medievalist than for any other reason.

I have no issue with people calling their tools what they want, I just thought perhaps I should explain why I am calling it a compass instead of dividers!

I see no need to establish rigid standards of nomenclature, I think it is a good thing for something to have multiple titles. I am no fan of over-standardization. Shakespeare, I have heard, never spelled his name the same way twice...

Was de eine ilüchtet isch für angeri villech nid so klar.
http://riegelbau.wordpress.com/