Well, there is nothing like the process and product of something that can be appreciated with your vision, your touch, your mind, and hell even the smell. I am a very curious person. I don't think I understand something until I completely understand. If you don't know why your computer or calculator tells you something then you don't understand. Maybe this is why I like timberframes and (yes timberframers, Genuine and prideful people I have met so far.) When I look at a timberframe I can understand why the building stands. You can look at the pieces for hours. Guessing on some of the forces, those hidden angles in there. You can see the challenge and you can see the strength. Other buildings not so much, except masonry, that's cool too.

I will not get into the machine deal but can relate to Thomas in Kentucky on that subject.

Now to the kicker. Why do you not see many timberframes on the beach? Why do you see them mostly in the mountains and the Northeast. Why do most people classify timberframes as traditional. Because they are. Do they have to be strictly traditional style frames. Absolutely not. I think that timberframing goes beyond a saltbox, cape, barn, etc. That's not to say I don't appreciate these, but there has to be more options . Why couldn't you do a timberframe in a Frank Lloyd Wright style? You can! It will take some time, but its possible. You can use timberframe for any style you want. I like bents. I like hips, different pitches and so forth. I like it all. I know that dealing with spans, loads, and other things limit free form, but I will try anyway. I think this timberframing needs to be more versatile in style. It's always fun to try new things.

And if I have to use metal to have that hip stand, I will. I know blacksmiths. smile