OK. So the frame is built and largely covered (I'm waiting for the snow to melt so that I can finish the walls, but the timber frame is now protected and dry).

Not wanting to damage the finished surfaces while fitting, or have to resand everything to remove staining the frame has been erected unfinished (rough sawn). I'm now faced with the slightly daunting task of cleaning it up. I would ideally like to plane all the visible surfaces. Obviously working around the pegs and joinery will be problematic, as will working around the walls. Previous attempts at sanding the rough sawn timber (Douglas Fir), both with a simple electric sander and by hand were pathetic. Hand planing is an option, but hand planing vertical surfaces won't be too easy

In terms of tools I have 2 different hand planes (No 4. and No. 5 1/2 Bailey), a cheap and old Black and Decker 82mm electric planer which will need the blades realigning before it can be used. Sand paper can be bought. As can tools which will significantly aid in the process.

Ultimately I'd like to oil the frame with Tung oil or Linseed (my preference is for Tung oil which I've heard has less of a colouring effect, but we'd settle for Linseed having already seen what it looks like).

So my questions are: Other than "I wouldn't have done it like that", what suggestions would you offer for the clean-up of this frame? Are there any tricks which I've missed which might help? Hand planing did work nicely on the timbers when they were horizontal... is there a good technique for planing vertically?

Thanks in advance.