Thanks Richard for your input

I also would like to hear some other chime in.

Actually the Swiss frames are extremely rigid, far more rigid than the American frames of largely English origins. There are 2 approaches to the matter of surviving stresses like unpredictable wind, sawmills, and even earthquakes. Frame design I think reflects which approach a culture chose to follow.

Some traditions designed frames to be somewhat flexible -I believe this is the thinking behind English timber framing. Other traditions designed frames to be incredibly stiff and rigid, instead of surviving stresses by elasticity, these structures survive them by distributing them through a great many members. This is the approach used by the Swiss, and I suspect is inspired by log buildings. It is often said that the timber framers among the Germanic tribes abandoned their framing styles when they came to the mountains and encountered the incredible rigidity of the log buildings there. I also think this rigid construction made its way out onto the plains and affected the development of Swiss and South German methods of timber framing (which in the late Middles Ages gave rise to the famous German Fachwerk style of framing). The log builders say that the timber frames were unsuited to the mountains, I'm not so sure this is true but either way, the log structures as built in the Alps are far more rigid than any timber frame.

I'm not quite sure I follow what you are saying about structures relying on each other, separating structures, etc. The same rules of design apply to structures both large and great, even to bridge building.

As for changing a tried and true method, I'm not suggesting that. Fact is, let in bracing is just as tried and true as mortise and tenon braces. Fact is, it's a much older method.
It actually surprised me to learn of its history in the English tradition, how in the Middle Ages it was the dominant practice and gradually fell out of use around the same time North America was being colonized. Same thing happened in Germany where dovetail braces were previously the normal method but were abandoned with the rise of Fachwerk construction -Fachwerk, you should note, achieves its bracing by setting some of the posts in at an angle, an incredibly effective solution.

When it comes to building frames in a certain tradition, by all means keep what is normal and what you are accustomed to. I am just exploring the thought process different cultures use to approach this subject.

It might surprise you to know that the large walls in these enormous buildings of frame-and-plank construction usually lack bracing completely. Carpenters discovered that the planks provided more than enough rigidity to the frame, and the braces just added an unnecessary complexity.

Last edited by D L Bahler; 12/19/13 03:28 AM.

Was de eine ilüchtet isch für angeri villech nid so klar.
http://riegelbau.wordpress.com/