hello everyone tonight

I really enjoy your posts, and as I read it through I wondered how those frames were held together without wood pegs, I suppose if the walls were mostly horizontal logs then overlapping corners would suffice

I do believe that you must be referring to Swiss construction prior to 1700's,it sounds to me pretty primitive in nature, but then it is hard for me to believe that they could have built such structures without saws to manufacture sawn lumber , trim and other articles too numerous to mention, at least crude saws

I realize that some groups remained very simple in their beliefs and resisted any new ideas, this would of course meant that older styles of construction would hang around for very long times, until the outside push would overwhelm the resistors

I was also wondering how the mortise's positions were laid out with precision using such a limited tool kit, I can understand that the specialized chopping tool would and could be used very well by the tradesmen of that era to extract the material

I suppose there is an answer for all these questions but wonder where this type of experience leads us and to what avail, other than information

You yourself I am sure will be using just these tools for your frame to ensure authenticity of look, one thing that I have learned over the years is this fact-- that it is very hard to cover up modern tool marks on finishes.

sorry for covering a lot of territory

NH