On the topic of bracing,

We had discussed the nature of bracing earlier to some extent, the values of the different approaches, risks, etc.

While looking for some certain things today, I came across this picture, I thought it showed the bracing system quite well.

and another picture of the same house

This is of course a log building, but it incorporates many elements of timber framing. The roof of this structure is timber framed, rather than being log built.

Note that this structure is unusual with its very large front roof projection, but this is interesting. Essentially what you see here is how the roof framing is arranged on the interior of such a structure.

Another interesting fact about this house, it was built in the year 1492, the year, among other things, that Columbus made his famous voyage. Kind of puts things in perspective...

While doing some of my research, I inadvertently stumbled across the paths of my ancestors. I found 4 houses in the area of Blumenstein, Switzerland (just a stone's throw from my ancestral village of Wattenwil) that were built by my ancestors (Benedicht, Christen, and Christen II) In the years 1685, 1688, 1719, and 1720.
I was very pleased to read in the documentation my ancestors referred to as a well known and important 'dynasty' of master carpenters in the region.

Which brings us back to the issue of formally trained carpenters. We discussed this and the 'guild' situation. I mentioned the lack of any 'formal' training as such, and referenced the fact that these people were locals, often farmers, building these houses. Now the 'Zimmermeister' is an important thing to bring up here. The 'Zimmermeister' or master carpenter isn't someone who has been trained and recognized by any guild or other organization. He is someone with experience building houses -probably learned from his father, as with the Bähler family of Wattenwil, but possibly learned from working for another master (probably an uncle or close family friend -an older or middle son who has no inheritance in the old Bernese custom might seek such a position.

Now we have discovered that our family had a long line of master carpenters, but we also know they were primarily farmers (and we also know we came from the mountains, and did things in a mountain style). So if they were farmers, how were they master carpenters? Well, to be a carpenter in those days was not a full-time job (except a few periods where building booms happened, such as the early 18th century) It's something you would do 'on the side'

So this, then, is the picture we get: The Bähler family was a well-established dynasty of carpenters, who I have learned was influencial in developing the architectural styles of the Upper Gürbetal and its side-valley the Stockental (where Blumenstein is found). But by trade, they were mostly farmers. The skills of the master -which would be things like proportions, floor plans, roof designs- were passed on by experience -You would work with your father or Uncle etc. from a young age, whenever he might have a project to do. In this way, the practices of the Canton of Bern were passed on. Also in this way, regional diversity became a huge thing, because any innovation was, for the most part, within a closed system.

Was de eine ilüchtet isch für angeri villech nid so klar.
http://riegelbau.wordpress.com/