We have been talking about planes at another thread. To keep from distracting that thread too far off topic, I'll continue here with my points.

First I need to reiterate a little,

Jay mentioned planing in Asia and the highly developed techniques of Japan. Surely he is correct in asserting there is no one who has done the things the Japanese have doen with planing.

But I wanted to mention a few things about planing in Switzerland, especially Bern.
First I stated that in log traditions and in timber framing where a thick plank infill is used, the timbers are precisely jointed to exacting dimensions and profiles. Planing of timbers is in this case the first part of layout, where the exact dimensions of the timbers will aid in lining up joints.

I also talked about the art forms of taking off heavy shavings with a plane and using them to construct cheese forms, baskets, buckets, etc.

Beyond this, planing is used extensively to profile, decorate, joint, etc. The carpenters shop of the past would have had an extensive collection of planes used to cut the profiles on the edge of timbers, join timber and planks, cut grooves, etc.

Seen here is the tool collection of a well-stocked shop from a century ago. The shear number of planes is astounding. Most of these are moulding planes of various profiles. On the rear wall you can see 4 giant planes which would have been used for making timbers as perfectly straight as possible. these are "Fugeboum" or jointing planes. They take off only the corners. They are meant to operated by 2 mean, and actually cut in both directions.

Last edited by D L Bahler; 01/28/14 09:36 PM.

Was de eine ilüchtet isch für angeri villech nid so klar.
http://riegelbau.wordpress.com/