Either seat into its own tie beam, or the ties carry a purlin on the end to support the intermediate rafters

At the hip ends, you would have to do the same thing on the hip rafter itself. Here you can frame a short stub tie into the hip rafter to carry the kick rafter (I don't really know the name for this in English, sorry) so that you have a triangle framed into it there. Alternately if you have a dragon arrangement like I showed, the dragon beam serves as the tie.

It all gets so complicated, there are so many different ways to do it! It's so much simpler if you have overhanging rafters.
This I think is why in Switzerland when they switched to framing roofs with seated rafters instead of hung ones, they stopped framing full hips and started making half or quarter hips instead.

with a reduced hip, the hip rafters get framed into the last jack rafter on the main roof slope instead of the tie beam, so it makes it all quite easy to do.

Sometimes you see where they made the hip ever so slightly less than full, just to simplify this. They could have used a dragon beam, but they usually didn't

Last edited by D L Bahler; 02/15/14 04:01 AM.

Was de eine ilüchtet isch für angeri villech nid so klar.
http://riegelbau.wordpress.com/