I would also like to add, in the tradition I accustomed to, framing is done with very well seasoned fir timbers -seasoned before any layout and joinery is done- so movement in the final frame is slight, especially compared to framing with green oak.

The reason for this is the very problem Jon is facing, very exposed framing that must continue to look well fitted years into the future, so we use seasoned wood and work with extremely slight tolerances (like, 1/32" in any exposed joinery, and 1/16" in blind joints)

I would also like to state, I don't disagree with Gable by any means, but I should say that his approaches named are just one way to approach things.

In Bernese framing, we mix elements of log building into timber framing including the stacking of deep section timbers at the union of two stories of a structure, and the seating of ridge beams on top of deep section timbers. These things can be done, BUT you have to design for them. Gabel's stated approach is to avoid these things, so that you don't have to go to the trouble of designing for them.

The floating roof is one example of designing for these things.

Was de eine ilüchtet isch für angeri villech nid so klar.
http://riegelbau.wordpress.com/