Hi Will...

I have done it on the mill with a Dremel before as well...

As for safer, that is "perhaps," more perception and actuality.

Being several decades into the "Wilderness Risk Managers" committees and "death and accidents in mountaineering groups" there is a running theme among outdoor and adventure professionals called: Perceived Risk vs Actual Risk...

Very often what seems "very risking," like lead rock climbing is comparatively much safer than something like " rappelling." The idea of touching the back of a saw blade may well seem very risky and is not to say that precautions do not have to be taken, as indeed they do. Nevertheless, the risk is actually (relatively speaking) not that much more risky than other methods that would offer only a partially completed task or one not done to full spec.

I do not support anyone taking on a tasks unless they have garnered confidence they can do it safely...Fear/worry is a "mind killer" and would warrant not attempting such a task as we have been discussing. I would further add this is not a "novice task" and would and should only be attempted by someone very accustom to working around large saws, and their operations...Milling in general is very dangerous in many ways comparative to other woodworking tasks...as is much of the Arborist, logging, and related professions...Be safe first...and if you don't feel safe...you're not...

Good luck and let me know if I can be of further service...When I am in the area again this summer, I can stop by and do a few blades just so you have them on hand when/if you chose to try this...

Regards,

j

Last edited by Jay White Cloud; 02/24/16 04:29 AM.