Though I too, own a Royoba and do recommend at least one as part of your kit, as a practitioner of traditional layouts, on timber of often irregular surface, rough, hewn and naturally curved pieces - I use handsaws daily, and want to put in a good word for western pattern saws.

There in Ohio the pickings are easy in the antique markets, and that is where you’ll find saws of superior quality – Geo(ff) Bishop ~ made there in Ohio – Atkins ~ made next door in Indiana, and of course older Disston’s are manufactures (but not the only) to keep an eye out for.

Look for blades which still have plenty of heel (distance from handle to teeth) a belly (the center is lower than the ends) will bend without kinking and while bent will sing (superior steel has a better tonal quality and will resonate longer) > I’m serious, play a little then try on something newer < Older saws always have an elegant look about them and are rich in fine details – carved handles - ornate rosettes – swept backs & nibs are all indications one deserves a closer inspection.

Choose a sharpening service which uses a filing machine not a grinder, or better still, find
someone to teach you to sharpen.

A hand saw, well tuned and in competent hands is an amazingly efficient tool.

“A good rip saw can earn a man a good living on any planet blessed with trees”
- Roy Underhill

"We build too many walls and not enough bridges" - Isaac Newton

http://bridgewright.wordpress.com/