I have used several different arrangements for cutting housings with a router and my conclusion is that I hate using routers to cut housings. They are too noisy, too dusty, produce too much vibration, and are too difficult to control. I know that some people are very skilled with a router, and that is fine, but I have seen more ugly mistakes from a router than from any other tool. And did I mention the noise and dust?

In our yard, open housings get kerfed with a skilsaw or chopped with an axe depending on how regular the stock is. If the depth of the housing varies by more than about 1/8 or 3/16 I find it faster to chop it out with an axe. Usually the back of the housing gets plunged and sawn with a skilsaw to establish that line, again unless the depth varies greatly across the housing. In my opinion, this is much faster than using a router.

That being said, we occasionally use a router and template when we have a closed housing with a flat bottom. But we have adjusted our joinery to where that is very rare now. When it comes up, I use a top bearing bit and a template. I have a few different diameters, from 3/4" to 1 1/4" which I choose based on hardwood/softwood and depth I need to reach. The length of carbide is 1", I think.

The brand of router I can't really say, other than I don't recommend the cheap hitachi. You need at least 3 horsepower as well as very good hearing/dust/eye protection. If we used routers more than only occasionally, I would get one of those darth vader helmets that have a face shield and a constant fresh air supply.

I guess I have made it clear that I think using a router for housings is an unhealthy and mistake prone technique(yes, even with the templates). And I just find it unpleasant.

I would love to hear other people's take on this.

Cheers,

GH