Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Classes and Workshops Jump to new posts
Timber Frame Learning Center April Class Jim Rogers 03/19/24 12:57 AM
It’s that time again! The Timber Frame Learning Center of Western North Carolina’s Spring workshop starts April 22nd and ends with a raising (if all goes as expected) on April 27th.
We will be cutting an attendee purchased 12’x12’ frame for their homestead.
The workshop will be hosted at our shop at 1132 Old Fort Road, Fairview, NC. 28730; conveniently nestled near Asheville and Black Mountain, NC. Class size is limited to 12 folks, only a few spots left!
Jim and I will cover basic mortise and tenon joinery, fit-up and raising principles. There is a sawmill on site, so we will chat about that, sharpening, using a shave horse and whatever other topics you might want to discuss.
Home cooked lunches will be provided!
Jim has instructed the traditional method for years. Dan attended a workshop instructed by Jim and went on to work at Timberframe Horizons, LLC.
This partnership allows us to touch on traditional,
quarry view woodworks.com as well as production timber framing.
For more information, check out QuarryViewWoodworks.com, or email Jim at jrsawmill@verizon.net or Dan at imintotrees@gmail.com. After reaching out, we will send out more info and a registration link. Thanks!

0 2 Read More
General Forum Questions Jump to new posts
Re: Improving Top Chord Joinery - Steel Knifes Ken Hume 03/12/24 07:25 AM
Hi RLT,

The use of metal brackets in traditional timber-framing is not unknown.

In older frames this is much more likely to be required to repair or strengthen the frame. Later on The Victorians made good use of metal brackets in their building designs e.g. see the attached pic of the old Bradford Wool Hall where ridge brackets not unlike your no3 image have been employed. Unless dry seasoned wood is used you will doubtless get gaps opening up. Structurally these probably don't matter but might not look great.

The best answer to your query is probably to sign up to take a course in timber-framing e.g. as run by Jim Rogers (see below) or Heartwood (TFG).
1 47 Read More
General Forum Questions Jump to new posts
Re: Hand Hewn Oak Beam northern hewer 03/11/24 06:03 PM
Hello everyone one tonite

Nice to hear from you Ken

No I don't think my hewing relates to my problem,,it certainly kept me in shape
I have skin cancer that is situated on the side of my head and down the side of my neck
I had it removed and just finished 33 radiation treatments this has been on going since last
November now I am,recovering
I never smoked even 1 cigarette, cancer caught me by surprise
I,hope you and your son stay healthy and watch all signs, I thought I just had an ingrown hair which was miss diagnosed and gave it a chance to spread
I I hope to have a few more years to be friends with people like you and yours and many others I've run across on my chatS
Thanks again for dropping by

Richard
The northern hewer
1,355 12,218,723 Read More
Classes and Workshops Jump to new posts
Timber Frame Learning Center of Western NC Jim Rogers 03/01/24 02:17 PM
The Timber Framing Learning Center of Western North Carolina is having a class in late April. Dates are April 22 to the 27th. Send an email to me at jrsawmill@verizon.net for further details.
0 72 Read More
Newest Members
kaymaxi, RLTJohn, fendrishi, AndyUK, MainiacMatt
5132 Registered Users