Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
Forum   Subject
Timber Engineering
Jump to new posts Re: Joint cutting - Process by Jon Senior @ Today at 09:24 AM

An interesting range of responses. There are perhaps 2/3 factors at work here. The first is that boring machines are non-existant here. Those of us without chain mortisers are boring out our mortises with a power drill, often with no stand. Drilling
Timber Engineering
Jump to new posts Re: Joint cutting - Process by TIMBEAL @ Yesterday at 06:35 AM

Another factor to add is the effect of drawboring the joint. The draw bore not only pulls the joint together during assembly and as drying occurs, it also puts you on the side of correcting error. If you mark out your holes exactly and one is off o
Timber Engineering
Jump to new posts Re: Joint cutting - Process by Cecile en Don Wa @ Yesterday at 03:15 AM

Some responses make the point that 100% accuracy in this matter (meaning a perfectly perpendicular peg hole in the mortise) is fine but not so critical and this is my experience in practical terms also as long as the peg goes in one side, passes thro
Timber Engineering
Jump to new posts Re: Joint cutting - Process by Dave Shepard @ 08/10/18 04:20 PM

Drilling the peg hole before boring the mortise can cause the boring bit to jam. I bore all peg holes, both mortise and tenon, at the same time I cut the joinery. I have had no problems, even if the timbers are stored. If there is a storage problem,
Newest Members
Jason_Blaha, hoops, Alexandre, ScottG, aldenrob27
4860 Registered Users