Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
Forum   Subject
Timberframe Design
Jump to new posts Re: Gable Overhang With Intermediate Plates by Thane O'Dell @ 07/23/17 07:38 PM

I do this on every frame I build. At least 16 to 24 inches out.
Timberframe Design
Jump to new posts Re: Gable Overhang With Intermediate Plates by ATC @ 07/21/17 06:40 PM

Thanks for the response. It's not a residential structure, just a carport basically, with board siding, for storing equipment. It's interesting, but none of my books on timber-framing, and very little info online, addresses a situation like this. I
Timberframe Design
Jump to new posts Re: Gable Overhang With Intermediate Plates by Roger Nair @ 07/21/17 03:23 PM

Some people might argue against any unnecessary breaks in the thermal envelope, I, however, am not one. My caution would be that a level exposed beam can become a transport route for water, so I would look for ways to profile the underside of the be
Timberframe Design
Jump to new posts Gable Overhang With Intermediate Plates by ATC @ 07/21/17 01:07 PM

Is there any reason why one should not have intermediate top plates (post to post), and then on the gable end, run the plate over the post, in order to have an overhang?
Classes and Workshops
Jump to new posts Re: Timber framing workshop event 8/5/17 in Souther NH by Jim Rogers @ 07/21/17 11:25 AM

Weekend workshop is now free for all who wish to attend. Jim Rogers
Newest Members
sawhawg6495, JasonSmith, rowdymillsey, Vasyl, Nim66
4737 Registered Users