Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Restoring gray weathered frame #33875 07/27/16 01:19 PM
D
dfvellone Offline OP
OP Offline
D
In the time it took to get my spruce frame dried-in the timbers grayed heavily. I found that that a 1 part bleach to 8 parts water mix lightly sprayed on with a garden sprayer brings them back nicely. Since I've got a lot of stickered material stored inside rinsing the frame presents more chore than I'd like to take on if I don't have to. My test area after several days seems to be fine: no white salt residue and no odor of any kind. I'll be lightly sanding and applying tung oil.
Any experience with the bleach process and input regarding whether it should be rinsed or no? I understand the chemical process and what's left behind is basically table salt.
Thanks

Re: Restoring gray weathered frame [Re: dfvellone] #33876 07/27/16 01:56 PM
Jay White Cloud Offline
Some "blotching" with a bleach treatment can occur if not rinsed well and "air dried" before apply final oil finish.

Oxalic Acid and Peroxides are also employed this way. OA being perhaps the most common. Some folks in the log industry swear by and never using any but "Wood ReNew."

Bleach, and many of these products can have a deleterious effect on the environment and are considered dangerous. Some states do have strict rules for their use and/or application, especially near "water shed." Just an FYI, but if you flood the area with more fresh water in most instances I think you would be just fine. I would check (anonymously perhaps??) with your local DNR just to see how "strict" they are and what the fines can be...??

I would note that for most timber frames (and green woodworking in general) There is no need to have them "dried in" before applying a tradtional finish. Actually slowing the process of drying and "waxing" joints is an old and proven practice by many timber framing cultures. Most (like barns) just went natural bare wood. The patina you get in really old timber frames barns or homes can be achieve any other way than to put a fresh frame up and get it under cover as fast as possible then let slowly age and oxides. That is where that "off brown" color develops, which is different than graying. Many conifer species (the most common timber framing material globally) have now been aging for centuries in some regions and only get darker with time and oxidation. Oil finishes are the only thing to arrest this, and if exterior exposed to UV then a UV inhibitor is recommended.

Good Luck,

Last edited by Jay White Cloud; 07/27/16 01:57 PM.
Re: Restoring gray weathered frame [Re: dfvellone] #33877 07/27/16 11:32 PM
D
dfvellone Offline OP
OP Offline
D
As I mentioned, my test post cleaned up beautifully and all that's left behind is a very light salt residue. Not enough to see- no white residue- but when bleach evaporates all that remains is sodium chloride. Not certain if this may or may not be an issue with tung oil.

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
HFT, Wrongthinker, kaymaxi, RLTJohn, fendrishi
5134 Registered Users