Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Where to sell a Tmber Frame #26208 04/15/11 03:00 PM
L
laxdad Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Hi this is my first post on this forum. I have a mid 1800's frame that I took down and am interested in selling. Is there an appropriate place on this forum to list this for sale?

Thanks

Last edited by laxdad; 04/15/11 03:12 PM.
Re: Where to sell a Tmber Frame #26217 04/16/11 11:33 AM
H
Housewright Offline
H
Hi 'dad;

This place is fine. Photos, dimensions and location are the basic information needed. Photos need to be uploaded to a photography service then linked to this forum. Their have been instructions given on how to do that so if you need help with that first try searching this forum.

Good luck;
Jim

The closer you look the more you see.
"Heavy timber framing is not a lost art" Fred Hodgson, 1909
Re: Where to sell a Tmber Frame #26222 04/16/11 11:22 PM
brad_bb Offline
This site lists a lot of barn frames for sale.
http://www.oldbarnwoodsite.com/old_barns_for_sale_.htm

Re: Where to sell a Tmber Frame [Re: laxdad] #26441 05/20/11 08:36 PM
L
laxdad Offline OP
OP Offline
L
OK here are photos from when I took the barn down. Frame is 5 bents, everything is hewn except the corner braces. size is 42' X 33'. All parts/joints are coded with roman numberals. Stored in a barn since it was taken apart. There are some missing parts, like the girts between the the queen posts on the three interior bents, and some parts that require some repair. So what is it worth?

Last edited by laxdad; 05/20/11 08:40 PM.
Re: Where to sell a Tmber Frame #26442 05/21/11 03:58 AM
D L Bahler Offline
Where is this barn located?

Was de eine ilüchtet isch für angeri villech nid so klar.
http://riegelbau.wordpress.com/
Re: Where to sell a Tmber Frame [Re: D L Bahler] #26445 05/21/11 11:05 AM
L
laxdad Offline OP
OP Offline
L
The barn was located in Skaneateles, NY. The frame is stored on my property in Camillus, NY. This is in the Syracuse area.

Re: Where to sell a Tmber Frame #26540 06/03/11 11:41 AM
L
laxdad Offline OP
OP Offline
L
So...does anyone have an estimate on the value of this frame?

Re: Where to sell a Tmber Frame [Re: laxdad] #34897 09/06/19 12:13 PM
L
laxdad Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Barn Frame still for sale...

Re: Where to sell a Tmber Frame [Re: laxdad] #34899 09/08/19 01:52 PM
Jay White Cloud Offline
Originally Posted By: laxdad
Barn Frame still for sale...

Hello Laxdad,

I saw this post a few years ago, and forwarded it to several I work with that sell and broker barns. I apologize that this post slipped past me all this time and I didn't forward the below post draft I had written to you. Of those that responded to me or I discussed this barn with directly the best quoted information was as follows:

Quote:
"...When a barn is taken down off its original site location by an amature it loses at least 10% to 20% of its wholesale market value...more if not fully documented with verifiable provence, and either industry and/or museum grade marking and mapping methods catalogued with and on the frame..."

Please not, this was their words, and no offense meant at all from me since I don't know if you have experience in this area of the historic restoration, though I do understand and agree with the perspective. If you have followed such international protocols for documenting vintage architecture then providing all documentation and provence here would be helpful to those of us that work routinely in the field of historic architecture conservation, restoration and/or replication.  

Without such documentation, provence and related management standards applied to this frame, I typically see such novice dismantled and stored timber frames valued as a standard basic "new frame" of comparable size if the frame is in excellent condition ready for raising as a barn or repurposed timber frame structure. This carries a mean average (coast to coast) in North America of between $25/ft² to $35/ft² for a frame package ready for shipping and assembly. This is dependant on region with a margin factor of about $15/ft² (plus/minus) on average to this valuation accordingly.

Since this frame is...not complete...and does require proper restoration, I would suppose it also was not fully documented? As much documentation as you can secure will be helpful, and a full proper restoration required before even coming close to even the bottom average value for a new frame. With out such work, the frame is only going to be valued for "parts" by an established barn broker or for resaw/parts value within the timbers themselves for the restoration of other older frames of the same species and circa date from that region or surrounding area.

Even with regard to such forms as Cantilever Barns, or Dutch Barns which are feasibly two of the most valuable types on the current market, if not handled properly they rapidly lose their resale value, as well as, losing most of their historic value as well they should have maintained if properly documented, managed and deconstructed. All to often Timberwrights, General Contractors and/or Barn Owners themselves..."think"...a barn is worth a great deal more than what it actually is.

Unlike Europe, Japan, and other regions of the world, we here in North America do not have (nor follow) any regulated protection standards for such vintage architecture.  Thus our vintage building needing restoration and/or relocation/repurposing, have no standardized regulation for removal and restoration.  There is unregulated international standards to follow and some of us do follow them. Those vintage timber frame not subject to such standards are left vulnerable to poor management and final valuation is grossly eroded.

When I (et al) are contacted with such questions of value by those with old barns and other vintage architecture, there is often misconception about them. Most often owners do not understand that a vintage frame may well be worth upwards of quarter to half a million dollars wholesale. This full value for vintage architecture comes with proper deconstruction, documentation and restoration/replication when marketed in those purchasing circles that seek vintage frames that have been properly managed. Otherwise, they simply are an "old barn," which for a property owner, is more liability than valued asset without those properly applied skill sets given to the frame during its repurposing, or preferably in situ conservation/restoration.

Feel free to ask more questions or email me directly if you wish to ask more detailed questions.

Regards,

j

Last edited by Jay White Cloud; 09/08/19 01:57 PM.

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
HFT, Wrongthinker, kaymaxi, RLTJohn, fendrishi
5134 Registered Users