Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Looking for a mobile sawyer in the DC Metro Area #34149 04/05/17 06:40 PM
D
DCDanny Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Hi everyone. A timber framing friend of mine suggested I post this question on the forum. I live just outside of DC (Hyattsville MD) and have two dead ash trees (EAB) that are roughly 30 and 36 DBH respectively. I have a double lot and am interested in building a picket fence, using the wood from the two ash trees or trading the ash wood to someone for a different type of wood like oak or black locust (have heard ash is not too rot resistant).

I have contracted w an arborist to fell both trees this Friday (4-7-2017). Despite my best efforts using google search engine, I have not been able to locate a mobile sawyer. I found one guy but he is not very responsive and has not returned emails of texts in over a week. Does anyone know anyone out in the DC area who would be interested in earning some $ or trading wood to mill these trees for me? If so, please let me know!

Thanks-

Re: Looking for a mobile sawyer in the DC Metro Area [Re: DCDanny] #34150 04/05/17 09:21 PM
J
Jim Rogers Offline
J
woodmizer.com select pro sawyer network find a portable sawyer there.

www.forestryforum.com select "Extras" then "Find-a-database" and enter zip code or state to find a sawyer near you.

Woodweb.com and search their database for portable sawmills.

Good luck with your search.
Jim Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Re: Looking for a mobile sawyer in the DC Metro Area [Re: Jim Rogers] #34151 04/06/17 02:40 AM
R
Roger Nair Offline
R
I would check with the county agricultural extension agent for any regulations EAB and infected trees, since Prince Georges County is heavily infected and some sort of quarantine may be in effect. I would guess you have firewood that should not leave the neighborhood.

http://mda.maryland.gov/plants-pests/Documents/15_Mile_Buffer_Complete.pdf

Southern PG is a very hot zone. Since you are somewhat north, that wood should stay put and be burned

Last edited by Roger Nair; 04/06/17 02:53 AM.

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users