Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
gambrel roof without perlin #34236 09/07/17 02:40 AM
W
Woodchizzler Offline OP
OP Offline
W
hello everyone, I am hoping for some information/ opinions about a house I was in a little while ago that was built in the late 1600's. it is a cape with a gambrel roof but it did not have purlin posts and beam supporting the intersection of the two roof pitches, I haven't seen a gambrel done that way. Also the top roof pitch was probably only a 3-4pitch, which I would think a house of that era would have had a much steeper top pitch even being a gambrel. As you would expect the top plate in the front of the house is bulging out and 2nd floor joists separating, but the owner is sure that it is from the failing foundation and not the roof. The low corner on first floor seemed convincing as the culprit, until I saw the roof framing. To add to this, there is a monster beam (17"wide chestnut!) in the center of the house to catch 2nd floor joists that only span 9-10' . Is it possible that this house was originally a gable roof that was later converted to a gambrel? I really don't know when gambrel roofs came about in new england. Did they start out with out purlins? I would think that load transfer would have been obvious to the timber framers of those days. I wish I had a camera with me that day and could have taken pics to show but I didn't know that day I was going to end up in that house, just a chance encounter.

Re: gambrel roof without perlin [Re: Woodchizzler] #34237 09/07/17 01:25 PM
W
Woodchizzler Offline OP
OP Offline
W
I forgot to mention that the 17" beam runs the same direction as the ridge, not perpendicular.

Re: gambrel roof without perlin [Re: Woodchizzler] #34238 09/07/17 01:33 PM
J
Jim Rogers Online Confused
Online Confused
J
You might consider contacting the group in the guild known as
TTRAG. Traditional Timberframe Research Advisory Group at this webpage http://www.tfguild.org/traditional-timber-framing someone in that group may know more about this type of roof system.
Good luck with your research.

Jim Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Re: gambrel roof without perlin [Re: Woodchizzler] #34240 09/08/17 01:59 AM
W
Woodchizzler Offline OP
OP Offline
W
ok, I will do that

Re: gambrel roof without perlin [Re: Woodchizzler] #34241 09/08/17 02:21 AM
R
Roger Nair Offline
R
Regardless of whatever cause of the original separation of the joist and plate, there is an ongoing problem that could lead to a much more serious movements brought on by roof load. An engineer with restoration experience should be called in for an evaluation and a repair program. I take your description as a serious problem and stabilizing before winter might be prudent.

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
HFT, Wrongthinker, kaymaxi, RLTJohn, fendrishi
5134 Registered Users