Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Capital Block for Post and Beam #34299 12/13/17 04:13 PM
C
ccollier Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I've got an old post and beam that we're are installing a new post in. The two beams above lap over the main beam and it was suggested that we install a capital block under the lapped joints that will then be above the new post.
I've tried to research capital blocks for ideas, but only found one reference in an old timber frame article.
My questions: how thick should the capital be? And are there any images out there of examples?

Thanks in advance,
Chris

Re: Capital Block for Post and Beam [Re: ccollier] #34300 12/14/17 01:00 AM
R
Roger Nair Offline
R
Such as this?

http://www.forestryforum.com/gallery/alb...ache=1332169251

This is a Jim Rogers drawing and the term most used is bolster.

Last edited by Roger Nair; 12/14/17 01:02 AM.
Re: Capital Block for Post and Beam [Re: ccollier] #34302 12/14/17 04:19 AM
Jay White Cloud Offline
Hello Chris,

I believe that possibly your difficulty in getting good web research results is due to terminology usage???

I am providing a link to a new Pinterest Pages below that covers...Corbels. This is another proper and common term in English for these timber frame structural element.

I will add to this Pinterest page in due time to have other examples from other timber framing cultures. Corbels are part of the bracketing family of structural elements and distribute loads over a greater area while also bracing the frame to lesser or greater amounts depending on application...

In there "half version" they would be called a bracket, corbel bracket or half corbel, which is also a Corbelling element. However, they serve and function differently.

Full Corbels (what it seems you are looking for...not a Capital which is typically more decorative than structural) can serve many different functions. I will also attach a link to a project recently finished that uses many of the in stead of oblique bracing...

Let me know if I can be of further assistance...and good luck.

Regards,

j

Link to Corbel

Link to Timber Frame project that uses a lot of them...

Last edited by Jay White Cloud; 12/14/17 04:30 AM.

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
HFT, Wrongthinker, kaymaxi, RLTJohn, fendrishi
5134 Registered Users