Rate Thread
carpenter's elbow #62 10/17/99 01:04 AM
N
Nina Cohen Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Howdy, folks.

I just started a job as a timber framer
at Dreaming Creek in Virginia this year. I love the work, but unfortunately, after a nine-week stint of overtime, I seem to have developed a case of carpenter's elbow (otherwise known as tennis elbow). Has any of you expert types, in your many years of building, had to contend with this malady? I'd gladly welcome any advice, words of wisdom, encouraging stories of recovery and return to work, etc. I feel very lucky to have found work I enjoy doing so much, and fear the possibility of being permanently sidelined if I can't figure out ways to manage this problem. I suppose the size and weight of the tools must contribute to the problem, along with the fact that, at 5'7", the sawhorses often seem too high for me to use a mallet at a good angle.

Thanks in advance for any insights or encouragement.

Nina Cohen
Floyd, VA

Re: carpenter's elbow #63 10/17/99 11:36 AM
B
Brian Wormington Offline
Administrator
Administrator
B
Nina,

I know some stick framers who have gotten relief by wearing the forearm braces that are sold for tennis players. You might also want to evaluate how you are holding the mallet. Some people have a tendency to place their thumb along the handle (to direct the blow) rather than around it and this can cause problems.

There is a ton of information on the Internet about tennis elbow; accessible from any search engine. Here is just one: http://www.tennis-elbow.net/tenniselbow.htm

Re: carpenter's elbow #64 10/18/99 12:47 AM
N
Nina Cohen Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Brian:

Thanks a lot! I'm going to be trying
all kinds of stuff to lick this problem. I
have one of those elbow straps, and it definitely does help, though it doesn't eliminiate all the pain. I also figured out that I was using way too light a mallet and having to work far too hard to do such things as cleaning out mortises, so hopefully the new, heavier mallet I made will be of help. I've always gripped my mallet with my thumb wrapped around my fingers. My employer seems willing to work with me, and give me a chance to do what I need to do to heal, so the prospects look good for my continued future as a timberframer. Wish me luck!

Nina

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
HFT, Wrongthinker, kaymaxi, RLTJohn, fendrishi
5134 Registered Users