low angle planes #7189 01/05/01 09:29 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hi,
This is my first time here. I am a novice timber framer.I recently recieved a Record low angle block plane as a gift.I had requested a Stanley of the same type based on info in the Lee Valley Tool catalog.I'm looking for some info regarding which is the better tool for the job? Is there a big difference,will one be better for timber framing.Let me know.
Thanks

Re: low angle planes #7190 01/18/01 01:23 PM
B
Bill Keir Offline
B
As a confirmed tool collector, I have an example of most of the planes record have made, and I can assure you that the Record is the better plane (If for no other reason that Record Blue is a much nicer colour)
frivolous but true
There is little to choose between the 2 companies these days, if you are contemplating adding to you collection you will find that older second hand tools / planes usually better. There is a variety of reasons for this ranging from
They were better made through- they are no longer available, to they have been run-in and set -up.
Good luck

Bill

The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity

While

The Optimist sees Opportunity in every difficulty

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users