Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
repair of church truss #7642 05/21/00 12:52 AM
N
northern hewer Offline OP
OP Offline
N
I am sending out this massage on behalf of the congregation of St. Peter's Lutheran Church of Williamsburg Ontario Canada. Their problem is how to repair one end of a timber truss that has has weakened due to dry rot. The bottom chord of the truss (the first one inside the end wall) measures 12" by 14" in cross section and is hand hewn pine. It supports 1\2 of the weight of the spire of the church and the ceiling itself. The truss spans 45 feet and was well constructed in 1865 the date of manufacture.
The rot was just recently discovered and is presently four feet from the end. The problem is that it no longer rests on the stone wall and presently has no support at that end. It has dropped approx. 2 " and the brace on the upper side of the truss has moved out of position due to this drop and shift of the end.
I suggest plating the truss with 1\2" by 12" flat plates on the sides approx. 10 feet long and manufacturing 3\4" u bolts to encircle the plates and the truss with the threaded sections up through 3\4" by 3" cap plates and then brought up tightly with nuts. I am suggesting a set of u bolts every 12", and 3\4 " bolts right straight through the plates every 16". I am also suggesting pressuring in a fungicide to stop the rot.
Can the rotted section be stabilized with and injection of some type of material?
Will someone comment on what I am suggesting as a fix please.
Richard Casselman

Re: repair of church truss #7643 06/05/00 02:38 PM
G
Grigg Mullen Offline
G
Richard,

You are on the right track, but I would strongly suggest that to have an engineer look at the particulars of this case. The length of the span and the fact that the spire is also resting on the truss make this more than a "seat of the pants" sort of fix. The loads to be carried are large.

The steel plates and bolts are the right approach, but the loads need to be calculated to ensure there are a sufficient number of bolts. Shear rings between the plates and the timber could also reduce the number of bolts required.

I know there are products advertized in magazines such as Fine Homebuilding the claim to both stop rot and repair/replace the wood in place. I personally have no experience with them, but I'm sure the manufacturer would be willing to help.

Good Luck.

Re: repair of church truss #7644 06/06/00 01:48 AM
N
northern hewer Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Thanks Greg for your reply, I appreciate it very much and will take all your suggestions to heart.
I have two other extremely knowledeable individuals working with me on this problem, Jan Lewandoski, and Robert Porthouse. Each individual has alittle different approach, but all in all they are very close in their suggested remedy and repair proceedure.
Between the two of them and suggestions from people like yourself I feel confident that a local construction company can procced safely, using their and your guidelines.
Once again on behalf of the St. Peter's congregation in Williamsburg Ontario I say thank you for your time and remarks.
Your comments about working carefully is well taken, and will be heeded.
Richard Casselman

Moderated by  mdfinc 

Newest Members
HFT, Wrongthinker, kaymaxi, RLTJohn, fendrishi
5134 Registered Users