Rate Thread
Madrone - TF suitability? #7707 04/17/01 04:14 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I am wondering if anyone has had experience using madrone wood in timber frames. I am curious about its properties, especially strength and workability. I am planning to build a large shop (22 x 40) and am considering using some madrone logs as posts. The wood seems very dense and I like the smooth, reddish-brown appearance of its outer surface. I plan to use some of the logs un-milled, as posts in the center of the floor. I am also interested in having some cut for use as wall posts and maybe braces and joists. I would really appreciate any info. or experience people have to share about this.

Thanks in advance!

Doug Pollock

Re: Madrone - TF suitability? #7708 04/19/01 06:10 PM
K
Ken Hume Offline
K
Dear Doug,

Do you mean Madrona (arbutus menziesii)a deciduous strawberry tree native to the west coast of North America from British Columbia to California ?

Ken Hume

Looking back to see the way ahead !
Re: Madrone - TF suitability? #7709 04/21/01 06:51 AM
K
Ken Hume Offline
K
Just spotted my typo - Madrona should read Madrone.

Ken Hume

Looking back to see the way ahead !
Re: Madrone - TF suitability? #7710 04/21/01 02:34 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hi Ken,

I'm not sure of the latin name, but the wood I'm referring to is commonly called "Pacific Madrone". I have since found some info. about it on the Western Hardwoods Association website (http://www.westernhardwood.com/PacificMadrone.htm). Madrone is commonly found in northern California and western Oregon. In ratings on their webpage, they rank it very highly for "machining", "resistance to splitting", "joint strength", "hardness", and "compression". However, it is also rated much lower for "dimensional stability", "static bending", and "impact bending". I'm not sure where their information comes from and how much of it is applicable to timberframing. From the information they provide, it sounds like Madrone would be great for posts, though maybe not so good for many other beams. I'm also concerned that it would be too tough to work with hand tools. I'd really appreciate hearing from anyone who has hands-on experience framing with Pacific Madrone. I'll be doing most or all of my work with hand tools.

Sincerely,

Doug Pollock

Moderated by  mdfinc 

Newest Members
HFT, Wrongthinker, kaymaxi, RLTJohn, fendrishi
5134 Registered Users