Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Framing with Utility Poles #7862 05/27/99 07:45 PM
D
dbowser Offline OP
OP Offline
D
I was wondering if anyone had any info. about framing/building with utility poles??
I have an almost unlimited supply of utility poles and would very much like to talk to someone who has "done it before" or that knows where I might get some information.

Thanks,
Doug Bowser

Re: Framing with Utility Poles #7863 06/09/99 12:49 PM
J
Jeff Jenkins Offline
J
I can't help you with framing with utility poles, but I do know that way back when they used to 'pave' streets with tree trunks layed across the road. Talk about the ultimate rumble strip!

I suppose you could do your driveway this way, but you'd better start stocking up on shocks for your truck.

Good luck.

Re: Framing with Utility Poles #7864 06/20/99 04:38 AM
B
Bill Boquist Offline
B
I once obtained a utility pole as they were being replaced with new ones near my home. My intent was to use it to try my hand at hewing. The chunk of pole I got was only about 12' long, and had been exposed to the weather for decades. I stored it in my garage for a couple of weeks before I got around to taking an axe to it. When I went out to the garage, I was surprised to find that the whole building really reeked of creosote. This, in spite of the fact that the garage involved was not a "tight" building and there was only one piece of weathered material in it. I would imagine that it would be hard to stomach the strength of that odor in a house framed with creosoted material. Of course, if you are talking about untreated poles, none of the above would apply.

Re: Framing with Utility Poles #7865 06/21/99 11:26 AM
R
Rudy R Christian Offline
R
Doug,

We had the opportunity to frame a boathouse which used utility poles for the pilings. They continued up to the wall plates and ties, which meant they were also the posts on the boat level.

Aside from their behind round, and no two having the same diameter, they were very irritating to cut joinery in. Especially on hot dys the sawdust created nasty rashes.

I would recommend using them for road building instead.

Re: Framing with Utility Poles #7866 07/07/99 10:38 PM
S
Scott Offline
S
Hi,
I've used poles to sit a conventionally framed house on. The site was "very" steep so we sat the home on poles with steel cross bracing, it works excelent on those dificult sites woth a lot of rock as well.

Re: Framing with Utility Poles #7867 09/21/99 02:30 AM
J
jimk Offline
J
What about pole barns and similar structures? You can use treated wood indoors but not if it was treated with creosote. On other types you simply need to paint the wood, use shellac or enclose it within a wood enclosure.

Granted, this isn't timber framing but I totally agree with the other posts regarding the unsuitability for such. However it is dirt simple and I suppose the oldest framing method.

Since most utility poles are treated using creosote you would be limited to storage structures that are well ventilated and not inhabited by humans! An example would be a storage shed for farm machinery.

Moderated by  mdfinc 

Newest Members
HFT, Wrongthinker, kaymaxi, RLTJohn, fendrishi
5134 Registered Users