Rate Thread
Planning to timberframe ourselves #7903 02/27/01 09:47 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
We have acquired a large number of vintage timbers(circa 1919). We would like to timberframe our next home ourselves. We would like to utilize solar heat also. What sources can be recommended in the design process as well as during building.

Re: Planning to timberframe ourselves #7904 03/26/01 02:28 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I am planning to do the same thing for my wood shop. I am tearing down three 100 yr. old barns and using the timbers. I bought two books that I feel have been excellent resources. The first is A Timber Framers Workshop by Steve Chapell. This gives a lot of engineering information in an easy-to-read format that will be very helpful. The second book is Building the Timberframe House by Tedd Benson. It is more of the practical hands-on information about how to put the frame together. I got them both from buy.com for a good price. There are several other books as well. Check your local library or bookstore, too.

Good Luck!

Re: Planning to timberframe ourselves #7905 04/02/01 02:52 PM
M
Mark L Surnoskie Offline
M
Here are some websites you may find helpful. The Masonary Heater Association, http://www.mha-net.org/ The Radiant Panel Association, http://www.radiantpanelassociation.org/ Home Power, http://www.homepower.com/ Solar Links http://www.newenergy.org/links.html#solar Hope you find some of these useful.
Mark

Mark Surnoskie
TIMBERWOLFTREE
Pembroke, ON
K8A 7P4
613-732-0233
Re: Planning to timberframe ourselves #7906 08/04/01 03:23 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hire an architect?

Re: Planning to timberframe ourselves #7907 08/06/01 01:17 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
But hire one that has experience in designing timber frame structures.

Re: Planning to timberframe ourselves #7908 08/06/01 09:42 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Quote:
Originally posted by J Rogers:
But hire one that has experience in designing timber frame structures.

I am right there with you!

Ah. There's the rub. In my experience, not many of these folks around and available, esp. ones who will a) work with a builder/owner and b) is qualified to sign off and stamp plans.

Another question with old timbers (I suspect) you may have to contend with is getting them approved/graded by a local inspector, assuming your local codes warrant that.

I would imagine this process is even more difficult if your beams have any imperfectiong, i.e. old mortises, in them that may make them structurally weaker.

I am heading down this same path, and amalready anticipating beauracratic nightmares with the local building "authorties".

Don't let me discourage though. Good luck!

Re: Planning to timberframe ourselves #7909 08/06/01 10:30 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have re-milled salvaged timbers for new structures and had them inspected. The process was to mill all the timber to the size needed. Then the traveling inspector came over and looked at each and every one, all four faces and ends. It was necessary to tell him where in the frame the timber was going. He stamped each timber with a hammer style stamp on the ends. This was to satisfy the building inspector of the town where it was going to be erected. As most ends of timber are cut off during the 'cutting' of a frame or are hidden, I didn't see much point in it, other than the inspector rejecting 'bad' timbers. It was a good learning experience for me. Good luck, Jim
PS. I agree with you that timber frame architects are hard to find.

[This message has been edited by J Rogers (edited 08-06-2001).]

Re: Planning to timberframe ourselves #7910 08/06/01 10:59 PM
P
Paul Freeman Offline
P
Additional Resources:
-Build a Classic Timber Framed House, Jack Sobon
-Timber Frame Construction, Jack Sobon and Roger Schroeder
-Building the Timber Frame House, Tedd Benson & James Gruber
-The Timber-Frame Home, Tedd Benson
(I usually go to amazon.com)

For Design, try The Not So Big House by Sarah Susanka

For Solar try The Passive Solar House by James Kachadorian, a system that really work by the way.

Most importantly, consider the services of a Timber Frame Designer (not necessarily an architect, experience is more important). See the Guild Resource Guide for names (or email me for a list). A good designer will help you determine the style of frame you're looking for, help you establish an appropriate enclosure system, assist you in adjusting your scope to your budget, and help connect you with an experienced timber framer to advise/support the more difficult joinery issues. Other services typically offered by a good designer include engineering, shoulder to cry on, marriage counseling, reassurance, foundation plans, and details.

Most importantly your designer must be an effective communicator and someone that listens and understands your needs, and follows up by integrating your wishes into plans. The most successful timber frame homes are designed with both the plan and frame in mind concurrently. Both plan and frame should be coordinated to play off of and emphaisize eachother's spaces and focal points.

You can tell when you get it right, because the pieces start to fall into place and the design takes on a life of its own....very exciting. But again, communication is the key. There are plenty of designers out there that are willing to work with owner/builders, but having a "clerk of the works" G.C. or Timber Framer is worth every penny. You'll recover both clerk and designer fees in savings from avoiding certain pitfalls, benefitting from advanced planning and most likely getting a more efficient design to fit your budget.

Good Luck!

Re: Planning to timberframe ourselves #7911 08/07/01 12:20 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
GREAT ADVICE PAUL, Thank you very much. Input like this is exactly what this bulletin board needs, and more of it. I hope that others read this post from you. I'm going to print it and put it on the wall of my shop/office, in a frame (pun intended).
Jim

Moderated by  mdfinc 

Newest Members
HFT, Wrongthinker, kaymaxi, RLTJohn, fendrishi
5134 Registered Users