Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Historic Building codes applied to old frames? #8107 08/09/01 03:51 PM
K
Kurt Westerlund Offline OP
OP Offline
K
First cheers to Joel, Rudy and the other TFG folks who donate an incredible amount in all that they do for timber framing. Thank You.

I'm an architecural intern currently working on a non-timber frame historic renovation/reconstruction in CA. Because of my buildings historic status I have been able to apply the California Historic Building Code which gives a bit of latitude in code interpretation. This is my first experience with the CHBC so I was wondering if anyone has had experience using historic codes to avoid grade stamping and other modern code hurdles?

Kurt

Re: Historic Building codes applied to old frames? #8108 08/14/01 11:47 AM
R
Rudy R Christian Offline
R
Kurt,

Thanx for bringing this subject to our attention. I have not had any experience with historic building codes. It sounds like a great idea and I would suggest everyone (including myself) check with their State Historic Preservation Office to determine wether such a code exists that would apply.

Much of our work involves barns and outbuidings which are timber framed. Their agricultural status usually exempts them from code issues.

Rudy

Re: Historic Building codes applied to old frames? #8109 08/17/01 10:32 PM
K
Kurt Westerlund Offline OP
OP Offline
K
The California historic code has a specific definition of what a qualifing building must be. Something like "recognized by any state, federal or local agency as historic, or in a historic district, on any inventory of historic buildings," etc.. For anyone doing historic barn reconstructions into residences it might be worth trying to get your barn recognized as historic before deconstruction if your state historic codes are similar to ours. Historic codes hardly give you free reign, in our area I would still have to justify any joinery with engineering and such, but do allow for more reasonable code interpretations than the strict "letter of the law" interpretations that most building dept's give. I could see it being particularly helpful in the old grade stamp difficulty.

Moderated by  mdfinc 

Newest Members
HFT, Wrongthinker, kaymaxi, RLTJohn, fendrishi
5134 Registered Users