Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
mortiser comparison #25564 02/21/11 02:57 AM
D
Devin Smith Offline OP
OP Offline
D
I am looking at a used mafell 103 mortiser-- I already have an almost new makita and wondering whether I should jump at these german machines or if I might be better of with my shiny makita. Having never used a german crosscut mortiser, I wondered if anyone out there actually prefers the makita and why? One advantage I could see to the makita's smaller chain and ripping cut is that it is suited to smaller work. 3/4" tenons might be just the ticket for 4x4's-- or for doing furniture with exposed joinery. I've used the angle feature of the makita to cut the bottom of wedged half-dovetails. You are warned against it on the metal tag right on the machine, but I've found that you can angle the machine and cut on the opposite side of the bar that you ordinarily would-- the "upcutting edge"-- giving you an angled cut. I haven't worked out the procedure for doing it really well and reliably-- partly because I worked out a better system using another tool, but I think there is some untapped potential there.

I'm not sure which type of machine would make it easier if working with irregular timber? Anyone have any insight here?

These german machines look pretty well used. Obviously no tool is invincible, but do any of you have an older well used mafell, and if so, how is it holding up? Are parts easy to come by? I assume they are priced proportionally to the whole machines. A new switch is probably $100 instead of $15.

Re: mortiser comparison [Re: Devin Smith] #25572 02/21/11 10:38 PM
D
Devin Smith Offline OP
OP Offline
D
I described the angled plunge incorrectly-- it is the leading edge (cutting on the downstroke) that can give you a angled surface on the makita mortiser. One would have to adjust the stops for the proper angle. I think the warning is actually not against this type of cut per se, but against making an angled plunge before making a straight plunge. Still, there is some kickback potential.

Re: mortiser comparison [Re: Devin Smith] #25580 02/22/11 05:03 AM
B
Blue Ox Offline
B
Hi Devin,

I'm looking for a 7104L mortiser. If you go for the Mafell, which are the cadillacs, please contact me if you're selling the MAkita.

Cheers, Blue Ox

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users