Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Millers Falls Boring Machine #30541 04/15/13 08:58 PM
D L Bahler Offline OP
OP Offline
I recently purchased this boring machine at a consignment sale. It was very dirty and in need of some cleaning and a few new parts -it is missing one handle and the depth stop, and in need of a new base.

I am fixing this up, and intend to resell it when I am done.

The machine is in good working order. All parts are functional and the operation is clean and smooth. I took it completely apart and cleaned the grease and fouling out of all of the parts and gave it a good lubrication, so that the return gear will effortlessly lock into place once more.

Once I have it fully assembled and all replacement parts added, I'll upload a video. This is a very fine machine, and has easily another 100 years or more of life left in it. Built like a tank.

The machine itself obviously has a story to it. One of the pins is missing and was replaced a long time ago with a wire nail bent around the shaft, and one of the slotted screws was replaced with a hex bolt. I may replace these with more authentic parts, but as they don't in any way detract from its functionality I have considered leaving them as is, in order to pay tribute to the obviously interesting life this machine has had.

Here are a few pictures, before and after the initial cleaning of all of the parts.

In addition to this restoration, I am considering making urethane castings of all of the parts with the intention of making reproductions of this machine, assuming there are no current patents, etc protecting the design (which I am sure there are not) Of course, I would remove the Millers Falls logo and replace it with my own indicating that these would, in fact, be reproductions and not original MF machines.

Was de eine ilüchtet isch für angeri villech nid so klar.
http://riegelbau.wordpress.com/
Re: Millers Falls Boring Machine [Re: D L Bahler] #30542 04/16/13 12:11 AM
T
TIMBEAL Offline
T
Hi DL, I have nails in some of my machines, shear pins and easy to replace in house. They work very well, usually only problem is in knots.

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
HFT, Wrongthinker, kaymaxi, RLTJohn, fendrishi
5134 Registered Users