Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Apprenticeship Standard now available #22187 01/08/10 03:55 PM
Will B Offline OP
OP Offline
The Guild's Apprenticeship Standards and Work processes document is now available for download from the home page of this website. This describes the framework for the Apprenticeship; other issues such as funding and selecting journeyworkers are being covered in the Guild's newsletter, Scantlings. This Forum is open for questions and comments from the members and beyond.

Re: Apprenticeship Standard now available [Re: Will B] #25027 01/05/11 05:43 PM
mo Offline
Hello,

I have read the literature available on the apprenticeship/journeyworker guild program. As an aside, I have recently renewed my guild membership after a couple year hiatus (clap,clap,clap). In the literature I have come across a couple of regulations that I am hoping someone can expand on. The two statements are quoted below:

"This is a hybrid program where both time-based and
competency-based requirements must be met".

"Apprentices may enter the program with advanced
placement based on credit for previous experience".

I should describe a little of my work and educational experience so the pertinence of these quotes can be understood.

In my recent past I have been an apprentice to a French compagnon four four years. During this time, I have studied and been tested on much of the material in the curriculum. There has also been work experience with timber framing companies during these years. Although my situation is a little different from others I would guess that there are others that might be in similar situation in regards to, "advanced placement based on credit for previous experience".

My questions are:

Has the guild determined a method for this advanced placement? Is there some testing be it written, theoretical, and/or practical for determining the applicants skill sets and level of competency? Or is there an affidavit process for determining placement? Or a combination of both?

Is there someone at the guild who can advise people on direction to take in pursuing these programs?

Thanks for your time and Happy New Year,

Moyer Fountain

Last edited by mo; 01/05/11 05:47 PM. Reason: happy new year
Re: Apprenticeship Standard now available #25040 01/06/11 02:55 PM
Will B Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi Moyer,
The review process for credit for previous experience is explained in the apprentice application in the Members Only section of the website, and is similar for journeyworker applicants as well.
You would do a "Curriculum Self-Review" where you use a form that lists all of curriculum parts (and sub-parts) and you check off the ones that you think you could meet the Goals for. These Goals are tests, both written and practical, and are described in each part.
This self-review must be accompanied by letters of recommendation and an affadavit from your journeyworker (if you are working under one) that verifies that your self-review is accurate. A resumé of your work experience is another item needed.
These items are then reviewed by the Apprenticeship Training Committee (ATC) to determine placement. You may be tested at any time down the road on any of the items that you declared competence in, but right now we don't test as part of the initial application.
Placement is determined by the proportion of the curriculum you declare competency in, and the breadth of your work experience. For example, if you said your were competent in half the curriculum and had two years work experience, you might probably be placed somewhere in the middle of the 5000-7000 hour program. If you could meet all of the curriculum Goals but had no on-the-job learning (OJL) then you might also be placed somewhere near the middle. That is the nature of the hybrid approach - academic learning is only one part and must be accompanied by substantial OJL.
If someone is considering applying to the program and has enough experience (academic and OJL) to move to the third year or higher of advanced placement, they should probably just go right to the journeyworker application.
I hope this answers your questions, and thanks for your interest.

Last edited by Will B; 01/06/11 02:57 PM.
Re: Apprenticeship Standard now available #25066 01/07/11 06:27 PM
mo Offline
Hi Will,

Thanks for your time. Yes, it does answer some questions.

Best,

Moyer

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc, Will B 

Newest Members
HFT, Wrongthinker, kaymaxi, RLTJohn, fendrishi
5134 Registered Users