Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Wall Bracing For Asian Gazebo #33661 04/29/16 06:34 PM
Joe Wood Offline OP
OP Offline
I have a Chinese customer who wants a 10' square gazebo type structure, and doesn't want any knee braces! He made that clear even without being able to speak any English.

He showed me a photo of a similar Chinese structure, but it was too small to make out any details.

I need to educate myself on how to achieve sufficient lateral bracing on a structure such as this using the Asian type framing,

so, where are some good resources I can look at?

Last edited by Joe Wood; 04/29/16 06:37 PM.
Re: Wall Bracing For Asian Gazebo [Re: Joe Wood] #33662 04/29/16 07:36 PM
Jay White Cloud Offline
Hey Joe!

Sounds like a great project...!!

That is the kind of work I and most of my students/collegues specialize in...I have lots of links on such Asian design and building modalities. I have many different files that would interest you...(I think??)...if you wish to contact me at my email (tosatomo@gmail.com)

Our forum here at TFG just doest not support many of my font formats for Kanji, Hanzi or Hangul which to share or do good "web research" in Asian studies and/or Asian Architectural forms must be performed in those characters. One must at least have rudimentarily ability and be comfortable with the basics of these culture alphabets...at minimum...to get even the basics of what is out on the "web."

I don't even navigate the "image sharing" on our forum here very well...I try, but it seems to be hit and miss most of the time...at least for me...

We are working on an huge Asian style (no oblique) timber frame here in Wisconsin and are about to do a 10 square meter (~100 sq ft) small pavilion/gazebo in the Asian style for a music festival as well...

I can "talk you through" all this and/or collaborate on a specific blueprint and "joint mape" for templates, as the "layout" and cutting system for Asian timber framing is very different than "Wester" and/or "European." "Edge or Mill Rule" being relatively young at less than 300 years...just does not work well (if at all...really) for Asian timber framing modalities that are laid out with "Line Rule" Asian systems which are over 7000 years old.

I look forward to getting an email...and sharing/collaborating with what I have. If you use Sketchup...all the better...

Regards,

j

Re: Wall Bracing For Asian Gazebo [Re: Joe Wood] #33663 04/29/16 08:10 PM
Joe Wood Offline OP
OP Offline
Hot Damn ..

Moderated by  Chris Hall, Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
HFT, Wrongthinker, kaymaxi, RLTJohn, fendrishi
5134 Registered Users