OP Offline
You can't say I don't know jack.

Raphael D. Swift
DBA: DreamScapes
Re: I may not be an Expert but... #10654 01/05/07 03:25 PM
M
Mark Davidson Offline
M
those Jacks make me comfy enough to post a couple of my "new" workshop.....

Re: I may not be an Expert but... #10655 01/05/07 04:59 PM
Raphael D. Swift Offline OP
OP Offline
We don't really have a photo gallery on this forum so it was a debate as to where to post... But I figured my screw jack family portrait relates to several of the current discussions (that don't need to be clogged with non-illustrative pictures).

I'd like to see more workshop pictures as I'm working out features I want to build into my barn/workshop/garage/???.

Usually when I visit someone elses work shop I pick up a few good ideas on organization and layout.

Anyone using an integrated dust collection system below floor level? My current working concept is to run dust collection below the shop floor and built the shop floor at or just below deck level on my 1.5ton truck.

Raphael D. Swift
Re: I may not be an Expert but... #10656 01/05/07 08:35 PM
daiku Offline
Dust tubes clog. Especially in TF shops where you make large chips. Make sure you can disassemble it easily to get teh clogs out. CB.

--
Clark Bremer
Minneapolis
Proud Member of the TFG
Re: I may not be an Expert but... #10657 01/06/07 05:02 AM
T
Timber Goddess Offline
T
..or consider a conveyor system, because there's always those larger chunks that get stuck in the blower tubes, and then in the fan, and then they catch fire...ach! It's a mess frown

Re: I may not be an Expert but... #10659 01/06/07 06:22 PM
OP Offline
Thanks Derek,
I do struggle a bit over keeping my advice aligned with perceived reality. wink

TG: Good idea about the conveyor system, if I'm going to blow the fine stuff into a dust shed. I could move the dust from hand tools there as well. Though hand plane shavings are dynamite for lighting the wood stove.

My biggest concern in dust collection is the really fine dust from high speed power tools. I can really feel it in my lungs after a day spent with the router and no dust collection, I've done enough damage in that department already. :rolleyes:

A dust fire below the floor is a scary thought, especially in a barn full of expensive toys, wood scraps and several thousand board feet of drying lumber. I'm thinking keeping the tubes up and exposed will be simpler and safer.

Raphael D. Swift
Re: I may not be an Expert but... #10660 01/07/07 04:19 PM
T
Timber Goddess Offline
T
Good morning, all!
Hey Raph, I know that there exists a vacuum type of system that will pull all the fine dust to the floor - I'm not sure what it's called or where to find it (Google?) and it could be a European thing ($$$$$).
Ever watched the Red Green Show? Maybe some ideas there...?
But the #1 thing you gotta do until you figure out the solution that works for you, is wear a dust mask..!
I will again mention the effects of cutting Western Red Cedar: it has oils in it that are carcinogenic, and I cut quite a bit of it when I first started my apprenticeship - without a mask. Now, any time I cut it, the first iota to enter my sinuses irritates them horribly and causes me to snivel all day.
I counter act on this by shoving larch sap up my nose because of its anti-bacterial and healing purposes.
JUST KIDDING! I don't shove it up my nose. But, apparently, it has been said to have these properties.
I don't know the long term effects of other wood species, but a dust mask will help, fo sho!
Check these out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDg_jrHlz2Q
And I stick with the conveyor solution - easier to deal with in the long run, I say.
Cheers!

Re: I may not be an Expert but... #10661 01/08/07 01:17 AM
B
Bob Spoerl Offline
B
For Raphael and other contemplating duct collection here is a very good web site. I found lots of good information (seems so anyway)
http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/Index.cfm
A word of caution about using shop vacs...while they work well for a single tool, I found that the particle size they allow through their filters are the ones you need to stop. Look at some of the after market filters, much finer microns and cleanable.

Bob

Re: I may not be an Expert but... #10662 01/08/07 03:54 AM
OP Offline
Bill is definately 'the man' when it comes to small shop dust extraction information. I've been leaning towards that clearvue cyclone as it's a simple way to keep heat in the shop and dust out.

Raphael D. Swift

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
HFT, Wrongthinker, kaymaxi, RLTJohn, fendrishi
5134 Registered Users