Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
The first built square rule frame? #12515 08/10/07 06:54 AM
S
Sussexoak Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I remember reading a while ago that the oldest square rule frame found so far, dated from 1801. This had been discovered in a contemporary newspaper article which described the anticipation of the old-timers waiting to see how the new technique was going to work.
Does anyone know of the source of this newspapaper article?
And is this barn/house still standing?
And is/was it the first one?
All info on the beginnings of square rule appreciated.

Re: The first built square rule frame? [Re: Sussexoak] #12516 08/10/07 01:04 PM
M
Mark Davidson Offline
M
1800 sounds too early to me, in north america anyway. Do you remember where your newspaper was from?
I have still not seen a scribe rule barn in my area(Ontario).

Re: The first built square rule frame? [Re: Mark Davidson] #12518 08/10/07 02:51 PM
J
Jim Rogers Online Confused
Online Confused
J
Mark, are you saying every timber frame barn you see is square rule? How old are these barns?

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Re: The first built square rule frame? [Re: Jim Rogers] #12521 08/10/07 05:15 PM
G
Gabel Offline
G
Where's Mr Truax? He is pretty knowledgable about this.

One interesting theory he told me about is that the War of 1812 may have been the vehicle for the square rule's rapid dissemination. Carpenters from all the states intermingling and traveling and learning new techniques, etc.

As for the earliest known example, 1801 sounds about right to me.

I, too, am interested in the circumstances surrounding this practically overnight change in carpentry that happened on this contintent.

One thing I am curious about is this -- Since the square rule was the norm in Canada (as Mark has said) where the cultural exchange with the UK was greater in the 19th century, why didn't it make it's way back to the UK as a viable method? I can understand it not spreading from the States to the UK in that time period, given our being at odds with each other. Any thoughts?

Gabel

Last edited by Gabel; 08/10/07 05:16 PM. Reason: spelling
Re: The first built square rule frame? [Re: ] #12523 08/11/07 07:37 AM
K
Ken Hume Offline
K
Hi Joe,

It is generally preached in the business management world that Springfield Armoury, Mass. is accorded the honour of being the first factory in the world where a standard limit and fit approach was developed to permit the mass manufacture of musketts and ammunition where interchangeability of parts was a pre requisite. This manufacturing technique commenced development following the american war of independance and certainly by 1795 muskett manufacture had commeced at Springfield. By 1819 it had become so well established that machinery being developed that could achieve this aim.

Since square rule is a technique that promotes interchangeability of parts (mainly braces) then it is unlikely that this would be evident in timber frames before the early 1800's but if this is found to be the case then we might just be about to rewrite the manufacturing history book and accreditation for the development of this important manufacturing technique.

This is quite a profound question.

Regards

Ken Hume

Looking back to see the way ahead !
Re: The first built square rule frame? [Re: Ken Hume] #12524 08/11/07 08:16 AM
S
Sussexoak Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Hi Ken,
Yes, square rule was applying the techniques of early mass production to timber framing. The roots of this came from Europe in the late eighteenth century and then found fertile ground to flourish in the States from the beginning of the nineteenth, initially in military applications then on to agricultural and consumer goods. Division of labour, standardization, interchangeability, and mechanical power sources enabled the States to supply the demands required of it and to utilise its specific human and material resources in a way that Europe was not able to initially.
So further information on these early square rule frame would be very interesting.
I know Eli Whitney( who was a central player in the production of the smithfield rifle) had a square rule barn built in 1816 at his farm. But I bet he was not the first.

Re: The first built square rule frame? [Re: Sussexoak] #12525 08/11/07 04:05 PM
M
Mark Davidson Offline
M
Jim,
yes. I have not seen anything but square rule construction here in Ontario. But the barns are not that old here 1850 is about as far as I can see frame barns going. Before that they all seem to be log. There may be older barns closer to Toronto or Montreal??...

Re: The first built square rule frame? [Re: Mark Davidson] #12537 08/14/07 08:00 PM
S
Sussexoak Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thanks for the Canadian info of about mid nineteenth century for square rule.
I read in an old Guild newsletter today that the first square rule frame was 1803. No reference given for the source of the info, but it does seem to confirm that Square rule probably originated at the beginning of the nineteenth century.
It would be great though to get a name or a source to look up for this.

Re: The first built square rule frame? [Re: Sussexoak] #12551 08/16/07 04:30 PM
R
raycon Offline
R
http://www.connecticutbarns.org/index.cgi/3923

ConnecticutBarns.org has a newspaper clipping advertising the teaching of square rule of framing dating to 1814. The newspaper clipping is near the bottom of the page. Local (New Haven county) timber framers believe they have evidence that a frame was constructed in 1795 or there abouts using the square rule.

Framing square collecting is popular with the barn historians at least from what I've seen. One scenario is the local blacksmith made the framing square(s) to the local barn builder's specs. Bringing square rule to the area via the layout tool.

Neat stuff.

Always looking for pine logs...
Re: The first built square rule frame? [Re: raycon] #12553 08/16/07 07:44 PM
G
Gabel Offline
G
Here's a town history talking about 1812.
Goshen Town History

This one's interesting. It talks about 1812, as well and then mentions a legend that a frame built in 1801 in Antrim, NH was square ruled.
Newbury, VT town history

Here's one that gives 1815 as the date of the first local square rule frame -
Antrim town history

Here's one written in 1875 that claims 1760's as the first square rule frame in town. That seems too early to me.
town history of Northfield, Mass

Here's one that mentions the first carpenter in town to use the square rule as being a veteran of the War of 1812.
Washington Co., Vt.

Here is an interesting passage from a James Fennimore Cooper novel from 1845.
The Chain-bearer

Nothing conclusive about the true origins, but interesting stuff about when it started showing up in different places.

Gabel

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
HFT, Wrongthinker, kaymaxi, RLTJohn, fendrishi
5134 Registered Users