Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
history of timber framing #5935 03/30/04 07:17 PM
C
Collin Beggs Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Hello,
I am making a booklet to market myself with.
I wanted to give a breif yet concise history on Timber Framing and the revival in the usa. What is the oldest surviving Timber Frame structure? When did the revival begin? I am very concerned about the accuracy of the information I provide. I want it to hold up under scrutiny of TTRAG, etc. Any books or links would be appreciated.
Thank you,
Collin Beggs

"The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne."
Geoffrey Chaucer (1343-1400)
Re: history of timber framing #5936 03/31/04 01:47 PM
M
Mark Davidson Offline
M
good topic....
busy now but will participate asap
-Mark in Ontario.

Re: history of timber framing #5937 04/04/04 04:44 AM
M
Mark Davidson Offline
M
here's a link to check

http://etext.lib.virginia.edu/users/deetz/Plymouth/framing.html

crazy pioneers with thier axes, eh?

i can tell you that in my part of the world (central ontario, canada) timberframe barns are the most common frames, most around here built from 1850-1910 plenty of broadaxe work and also lots of sawn timber
the barn on our farm is half sawn and half hewn
the sawn wood is elm and the hewn wood is ash and pine, all the rafters are round balsam fir
those elm beams must have been a bitch to join....
please give us an update on your booklet as it would serve me also
-Mark.

Re: history of timber framing #5938 04/06/04 05:39 PM
G
gil anderson Offline
G
The Faribanks house in Dedham is, I believe, the oldest framed house in the U.S. There are a number of early frames in around Boston and in the Connecticut River Valley. Abbott Lowell Cummings' book on the houses of Mass. Bay is a great resource. From what I know, the revival began in the mid to late 70s. Roughly speaking, Stuart Elliot had a book out in 1978 and Tedd Benson had one in 1979 or 1980. There was also a number of books printed in England. I have a lot more information; should you want, you could email me directly.

Re: history of timber framing #5939 04/16/04 01:01 AM
N
northern hewer Offline
N
Hello Collin:
Seen your post concerning the oldest structure in the USA. I think that might be alittle hard to nail down truthfully, and be able to back up the information with facts without someone coming along and denouncing it. Maybe just talking about an "old structure" or a documented old frame, be it a house, barn, driveshed, or mill might be a safer approach.
I reproduced period structures for a number of years, and it is exceedingly hard to truly date them POSITIVELY.
If I can be of any help to you and your cause, I may be able to draw on my many years of research and hands on reproduction of some of the earliest buildings framed by the United Empire Loyalists who emigrated to Upper Canada beginning in 1784 near the end of the American War Of Independence
Richard

Re: history of timber framing #5940 04/16/04 12:08 PM
C
Collin Beggs Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Thank you for the information information resources. Does anyone have information on the Ancient history of Timber Frame structures in Europe and other countries.
I have read in other Timber Frame books that the chair of King Tut was joined with mortice and tenon.
What is the oldest surviving Timber Frame in Europe/Earth?
I would like a world perspective time line on joined wooden shelters.

Re: history of timber framing #5941 04/16/04 12:10 PM
C
Collin Beggs Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Thank you for the information and resources. Does anyone have information on the Ancient history of Timber Frame structures in Europe and other countries.
I have read in other Timber Frame books that the chair of King Tut was joined with mortice and tenon.
What is the oldest surviving Timber Frame in Europe/Earth?
I would like a world perspective time line on joined wooden shelters.

Re: history of timber framing #5942 04/16/04 05:21 PM
G
gil anderson Offline
G
Collin, First, there are many good books on English framing. R. W. Brunskill has 2, at least, and Richard Harris' little book TIMBER FRAME BUILDINGS provides a great history. You could also access the Weald and Downland Open Air Musuem in the south of England. They have many restored frames, the earliest of which is from the 15th century. The question of identifying the oldest in Europe would be hard to come by as the tradition--if you include log structures-- goes from Scandinavia to southern Europe. In Norway there are extant stave churches from the 12th century, and there are small cities like Bamberg in Germany that are Meccas of timber framing. The Greek temples were originally in wood, and stone temples such as the Parthenon emulated much of the timber framing ( I think, for instance that modillions done in stone along the eaves represented earlier wooden rafters.) There is a lot of ground to cover. I do believe that the Fairbanks house is documented at 1636; Tedd Benson and some framers recreated this frame on Boston Common in 1979 or 1980 or thereabouts although I don't know where that frame is now. Good luck.

Re: history of timber framing #5943 04/19/04 12:40 PM
I
Ian Lawford Offline
I
Hi Collin,

I think one of you best resources on mideval frames would be Patrick Hoffsummer from Belgium and Lynn Coutenay from Madison, Wisc. I went to thier talks at the last Eastern conference in Montebello. I think any academic discussion on dating frames would have to include dendrochronological dating in addition to design and construction artifacts that evolved with the technology. For instance many of the midevil cathedrals in france were built along rivers simply b/c timber could be easily transported. As such P. Hoffsumer documented the existance of pegs found in cathedral roofs that were used to tie timber booms together.
Anyway thier contacts are
phoffsummer@ulg.ac.be
and
ltcourte@facstaff.wisc.edu
Definitely check out Dr.P Hoffsumer's book Les Charpentes du XI au XIX Siecle
His research mainly covers Nothern France and Belgium but having a look at it gives one an idea of some of the techniques and clues to look for in your search and also help you critically analyze what you read in other litterature.

Good luck and have fun!

Ian :rolleyes:

Re: history of timber framing #5944 04/20/04 11:49 PM
C
Collin Beggs Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Thank you for the information.
-Collin

Page 1 of 2 1 2