I came across this in our local paper today. It seems Vermont is about to undertake a survey of ALL of its barns. A $150,000 grant was obtained for the research. That's got to be thousands of barns to document. The New England barn book we were recently discussing in another thread states Vermont has approx. 30,000 barns (1997 data).

The state will be training folks to document the buildings in classes this weekend (June 21). It sounds like the state is interested in a very broad overview sort of documentation rather than detailed analysis. Still, it is a wonderful development that may spread, or serve as a precedent for other states/ areas.

Hopefully this will illuminate some much-needed "CG" density/ information. I may contact the folks in charge to see if their scouts can look for the CG typology. Supposedly, Jan Lewandowski is among the instructors. Thomas Durrant Visser, author of the New England barn book just listed in the TFWiki is also instructing. But, given the volunteer class is tomorrow (Sat. the 21st) it may be tough to get any requests granted. I think the census formally gets underway in August.

Here's a link to the census information:
http://www.historicvermont.org/programs/barn%20census.htm

Don Perkins
Member, TFG

to know the trees...