Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Building Barn Doors #6185 08/31/06 07:11 PM
F
fcms2004 Offline OP
OP Offline
F
I need to replace the sliding wood doors that are on my barn. I am wondering how I would go about building them myself? What sizes of wood, etc.. would be least expensive and MOST importantly, lightest weight. These things are huge and weigh a ton. I can take pics of them and measure them if that would help...

Re: Building Barn Doors #6186 09/01/06 02:21 AM
R
Roger Nair Offline
R
In general, the least expensive material will come from a local sawyer. Since you are posting from Oregon try looking for red cedar for the door cladding, a very light weight wood with excellent weather resistance. Consider making a rail and stile frame with internal bracing and simpson strap rails to stile. Space rails about 3 feet on center. Shiplap the cladding and nail cladding through the frame and clinch the nails. The door will not come apart. Be sure to place roller guides at door bottom to prevent door from being wind blown and place stop/keeper at full open position.

Re: Building Barn Doors [Re: fcms2004] #19655 05/12/09 08:55 PM
H
harry Offline
H
I just did this to a barn at a historic house in my town. We were lucky enough to have a pile of old boards on the second floor, but you can probably find a local sawmill from which to buy some 4/4 (one inch) thick boards. If all you can get is pine, I'd go for it and apply several coats of waterproofer/UV protectant. I surface planed these 1" thick boards to 3/4" (left a nice patina), edged them on the jointer, then ran them through the table saw to make the other edge parallel and then ship-lapped them on the table saw as well (so you won't see though the boards when they dry out). The door frame only needed one new frame member. It is just a big square with one horizontal member in the middle. We added small 45 degree blocks at each intersection of the framing members. We also bought 30 pounds of rosehead nails from Tremont Nail (I think) which we will nail the boards with and clinch them over on the indside, as was originally done. This is one of the tightest joints possible, even though it looks amatuerish. We also removed the rail and door hanger/rollers, wire brushed them and applied 3 coats of Rust Reformer, neutralizer (available at the hardwar store). they almost look new! Don't become overwhelmed at this task, its really pretty straightforward. I THINK I've added 3 photos, but I can only see one of them when I preview tghis post. If you can't see them, e-mail me and I'll send them toyou. Good luck, Harry

Re: Building Barn Doors [Re: harry] #19657 05/12/09 10:59 PM
Dave Shepard Offline
There is only one photo. I have door track like that on my old barn. I wonder if it is still available, or if I'm going to have to go looking for more. I'm working on a shed that needs a sliding door. I look forward to more photos of the door project! smile

Member, Timber Framers Guild
Re: Building Barn Doors [Re: Dave Shepard] #19658 05/12/09 11:23 PM
H
harry Offline
H
Hi Dave,
Those rails are still available. Google old barn hardware and you'll find suppliers. If you want to see more photos of what I'm working on, send me an e-mail and I'll attach soem. Its too much of a pain in the butt to attach them through this site.
Harry
harrypritoni@msn.com

Re: Building Barn Doors [Re: harry] #19724 05/15/09 12:04 AM
D
Don P Offline
D
I think I saw the trouble, this should do it;

(There was an extra set of http// tags on the pic links)

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users