Timber Framers Guild

Frame raising using whole floor systems

Posted By: Griffon

Frame raising using whole floor systems - 04/04/07 01:00 PM

The idea of installing whole floors 'at a blow' seems appealing; tusk or soffit joints are stronger and take less strength out of the girt. More fitting at ground level.

But ... what happens at the raising? More braces to fit simultaneously ... and other complexities perhaps. Any thoughts?

Re: Frame raising using whole floor systems - 04/05/07 11:19 AM

Yet another excellent raising pic; thanks Derek smile
Posted By: Timber Goddess

Re: Frame raising using whole floor systems - 04/06/07 01:28 AM

Heyyy...cool!
So, are those summer beams housed? I see they have splines in them...I haven't seen sideways splines before... how are they fastened to the plate? (hence my query as to whether there's hsgs.)
Posted By: Timber Goddess

Re: Frame raising using whole floor systems - 04/06/07 03:45 PM

cool
Posted By: Ken Hume

Re: Frame raising using whole floor systems - 04/07/07 07:16 AM

Hi Derek,

Sorry, but I don't quite understand how the joint on top of the main (hewn)post to girt / plate is secured. The post tenon appears to be offset to the brace side suggesting that this is the side from which a peg should be driven but the main floor beam is already housed into the girt /plate and now would prevent peg driving from the brace side. Of course the peg could be driven from the other side and then a hole would be needed running axially down the main floor beam to provide sufficient exit space for the peg.

Without a peg securing the top of the post to the girt / plate the braces will tend to lever up the girt / plate off the main post seat.

Regards

Ken Hume P.Eng.
http://www.kfhume.freeserve.co.uk

Re: Frame raising using whole floor systems - 04/12/07 02:46 PM

Sounds plausible to me ...

You didn't tell us any more about these dovetail splines. Are they half or full dovetails? A picture or sketch would save a lot of words. smile

Lee
© 2024 Timber Frame Forums