Timber Framers Guild

Sharpening a Chain Mortiser

Posted By: Jon Shaw

Sharpening a Chain Mortiser - 11/02/07 05:03 PM

Does anyone have any experience sharpening the chain on a Makita 7104L?

I've tried a chain saw file, but I didn't seem to accomplish much. I have an attachment for my Dremel, but I want to be a little cautious with that.

Do any of you sharpen your own 7104L chain? If so, any tips?

The other option is to send it out for sharpening. I tried one chain saw shop, but they weren't interesting in trying to sharpen this.

Can people who sharpen chain saw chains typically sharpen a mortiser chain?

If I need to send it out, where should I send it?

Is there any place where I can buy a second chain for less than $325? (To use while the first is being sharpened.)

Thanks!

Jon
Posted By: Mark Davidson

Re: Sharpening a Chain Mortiser - 11/07/07 01:19 AM

This question was addressed in the tool forum a while back, you may want to search it out. I sharpen on the machine with a chainsaw file. I file all teeth, including pairs, straight across the chain.
Posted By: timberworks

Re: Sharpening a Chain Mortiser - 11/07/07 02:47 AM

Jon,
I order my chains through the lumber yard from makita and they generally run about 30 dollars.
Posted By: Mark Davidson

Re: Sharpening a Chain Mortiser - 11/07/07 03:57 AM

??30?
I'll take 10 please.
( -:
Posted By: RJ2

Re: Sharpening a Chain Mortiser - 11/07/07 05:43 PM

There is a new one in the package up for auction on ebay. Saw it while researching what the 7104 Makitas are selling for. I did a few mortices in a 4x14 cedar door jamb for splines ,and always wondered how long those chains last. How much milage did you
get on yours?
Posted By: Timber Goddess

Re: Sharpening a Chain Mortiser - 11/08/07 05:16 AM

They won't last long on cedar....
Posted By: jon shaw 2

Re: Sharpening a Chain Mortiser - 11/13/07 06:06 PM

Thanks to all for the responses. I've been trying to log in for a few days, but couldn't remember my password!! I ended up creating a new account.

I did search through the tool forum, but obviously didn't look back far enough.

I tried the file again last weekend. Filing across the teeth doesn't work that well for me. (Grabs and twists the chain.) I have better luck by chucking the file in my cordless drill and spinning the file. I think I may be using too small of a file though, as I don't notice much of a difference in the cut after I sharpen.

Anyway, I wanted you guys to know that I appreciated your feedback!

Jon
© 2024 Timber Frame Forums