Timber Framers Guild

Using a scrub plane to give an rustic look.

Posted By: cedar

Using a scrub plane to give an rustic look. - 09/18/09 06:13 PM

I was thinking that a scrub plane could be used to give a rustic texture to fir timbers. Has anyone tried to use a scrub plane to achieve this type of detailing?
Or is this not a good idea at all? Thx.-Cedar:):)
Posted By: Bruce Chrustie

Re: Using a scrub plane to give an rustic look. - 09/18/09 06:34 PM

http://www.wickinn.com/accommodations.html

check out some of the timber pics in the dining room here. I tried to contact the fellow who did the timber work and he has since passed. supposedly he used a D handle adze. I did a similar effect with a gouge from LV for my fireplace mantle. Looks awesome!
Posted By: TIMBEAL

Re: Using a scrub plane to give an rustic look. - 09/19/09 12:13 AM

I like the finished texture of hand planed timber. I think the scrub is a bit too deep, I like a more subtle surface. I use my Stanley bench plane with the blade sharpened similar to the scrub, it covers more land as well. I wouldn't be picky just get it done.

I would rather hand plane than sand the timber.

Interesting pictures, the model ship deck reminds me of the work my Grandfather did, some of the figures and the details were amazing for a man with short fat fingers, which he had. I will always remember the fisherman in the yellow slicker and the sowester standing on the deck of the schooner. The fisherman was no bigger than the length of your fingernail.

Tim
Posted By: Thane O'Dell

Re: Using a scrub plane to give an rustic look. - 09/19/09 12:55 AM

I did a 7x11x 24'beam w/post & brace for a cathedral ceiling a few years back. I used a long block plane which has a slight rad. on the blade. Using short strokes from top to bottom made a great rustic finish.

Thane
Posted By: Dave Shepard

Re: Using a scrub plane to give an rustic look. - 09/19/09 04:10 AM

I've used a scrub plane to clean up hewn timbers. We went diagonally across the timber. The planes were not set to a severe radius, and a regular bench plane will do the same thing. It leaves a fairly smooth surface, with a slightly scalloped finish. Hand plane is not a lot of work on well milled lumber, I prefer it to machine planed finishes.
© 2024 Timber Frame Forums