Timber Framers Guild

advice needed about hand plane for tenon shoulders

Posted By: cedar

advice needed about hand plane for tenon shoulders - 01/03/11 01:15 AM

Has anyone found the Lie-Nielsen 101/4 hand plane to be worth buying? I have the large Veritas Shoulder plane and love using n tenon shoulders. Or do other members use on of their chisels to smooth off tenon shoulders? I am thinking of getting the Lie- Neilsen plane from the guild for my 55th birthday in March.
Posted By: Cecile en Don Wa

Re: advice needed about hand plane for tenon shoulders - 01/03/11 10:03 AM

Hello,
I don't know if tradition is of any relevance but this tool's origins stem from the furniture making branch of woodworking rather than construction. And whether it's worth buying is really a hard question to answer. The plane I use from this maker surely does fine work and feels good in my hands and I am glad I own it.
Posted By: bmike

Re: advice needed about hand plane for tenon shoulders - 01/03/11 10:27 AM

I have an antique that is similar. Love it for all sorts of work...
Posted By: TIMBEAL

Re: advice needed about hand plane for tenon shoulders - 01/03/11 12:44 PM

I day dream about having one and using it when working. Years ago when I first started I use an older wooden 1-1/4" rabbet plane and my standard jack plane. After knocking knuckles a few times I easily switched to a slick for finishing tenons. This version you speak of has a adjustable handle, right? Yeah, here it is.....
http://tfguild.stores.yahoo.net/li1014rapl.html

If the extra cash was available I would give it a go. I sometimes end up scooping the tenon with the slick, a little too much light under the straight edge, better than too fat I tell my self.
Posted By: timberwrestler

Re: advice needed about hand plane for tenon shoulders - 01/03/11 11:37 PM

The 10's, 10.5's, and 10.25's are awesome for cleaning up tenon cheeks. In theory, you shouldn't ever have to mess with your tenon shoulders. If you do though a chisel or low angle jack plane works.
Posted By: Andrew Young

Re: advice needed about hand plane for tenon shoulders - 01/05/11 02:35 AM

Cedar

Are you talking about this one:

http://www.lie-nielsen.com/catalog.php?grp=1219

I would be interested in hearing about your results if you get one. The tiling knob handle strikes me as ideal.

Drew
Posted By: cedar

Re: advice needed about hand plane for tenon shoulders - 01/05/11 08:41 PM

Drew The answer is yes. I am considering getting the plane from the guild. I hope to get it for my 55th birthday in March. Thanks for the feedback from my fellow guild members. The brand and the tilting knob are the main selling points for me.
In the past I have been a seasonal Lee Valley employee. I have a full set of the Veritas Low Angle planes, set of Veritas Shoulder Planes, Scrub Plane, and both Veritas Block planes. I love the high quality of Lie-Nielsen woodworking tools too!!!!
Posted By: Joel McCarty

Re: advice needed about hand plane for tenon shoulders - 01/05/11 08:49 PM

It is a fine tool, but alas, the TFG doesn't sell them anymore.

It was judged to be too big an investment in inventory for a very slow selling (though totally fabulous) tool.

I am sure you will be able to get this from L-N directly.
Posted By: collarandhames

Re: advice needed about hand plane for tenon shoulders - 01/13/11 04:36 AM

I usually just pick up a slick. My 2 cents. Sounds like he has alot of planes, and it another 300 buck plane going to earn it's keep? Slick the work.
d
© 2024 Timber Frame Forums