Timber Framers Guild

Best Novice Book

Posted By: Frank Murray

Best Novice Book - 08/13/05 02:26 AM

What book would you folks recommend for a novice to start out with? I figure I can build some TF sawhorses, then build a small shed or pavillion to get started. I have plenty of free timbers.
Posted By: Emmett Greenleaf

Re: Best Novice Book - 08/13/05 02:31 AM

Simply said,
the Red book and the newly released Green book from the online shop here at the TFG.
Posted By: Mark Davidson

Re: Best Novice Book - 08/14/05 06:06 PM

I'll put in a vote for Jack Sobon's "timberframe construction" -all about post and beam building.
Posted By: daiku

Re: Best Novice Book - 08/14/05 09:35 PM

My favorite is Tedd Benson's first book: Building the Timber Frame House
Posted By: Collin Beggs

Re: Best Novice Book - 08/14/05 10:25 PM

My vote is for:
Jack A Sobon's, Build a Classic Timber-Framed House.
It has a wonderful sections on the history of the craft,layout and proper tool usage.
-Collin
Posted By: R.Lewis

Re: Best Novice Book - 08/15/05 09:09 PM

It has to be Sobon & Schroeder, the best intro to US framing craft by a long shot. Real passion for real craft. Enjoy.
Posted By: piller

Re: Best Novice Book - 08/15/05 09:48 PM

Also don't forget the six part series "Historic American Timber Joinery - A Graphic Guide" written and illustrated by Jack Sobon. You can order it from the guild or download it for free!
http://www.tfguild.org/joinery/joinery.html
Posted By: jim haslip

Re: Best Novice Book - 08/27/05 04:27 PM

All of the above noted references are good sources, and there are many others out there.
Here on the Web, there is another Forum moderated by a TFG member ( Jim Rogers ) that includes a terrific set of instructions for Square Rule Layout that you might find helpful. Try www.forestryforum.com, register there, then go to the "forum". There is one about Timber Framing and Log Building. http://www.forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=6403.0 A sticky thread near the top of the list is titled "tools for Timber Framing. Read all of it a couple of times. It has been as helpful as the books listed above.
© 2024 Timber Frame Forums